English dub or sub?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Honestly, they're all worth watching but Cowboy Bebop and Fooly Cooly especially, they're two of my personal favorites.
Oh okay thanks! I'll look 'em up and watch them ^o^ I don't have much else to do right now so might as well xD Cheers for the suggestions!

Actually ye, they often say completely different things from the original.
lmao, I kinda wanna watch 'em now :p It's pretty weird that they'd do such shonky subbing though, idk but you'd think they'd atleast put effort into it xD

Depends what the anime is. I generally go for subbed, but there are just some animes that have AMAZING dubs. Since japanese arn't good with accents Hetalia and black butler really stand out when dubbed. Animes such as Ouran Highschool and FMA keep their charm with the dub.

Man this conversation was from wayyyy back but I don't think I commented so I'm just gonna say my opinion. I've always watched Subs because when I first started, I was listening to the Naruto dub's 'Believe it!' and it made me switch languages. After that, I started watching everything in subs due to the fact that I though the characters voices fit more naturally in its original medium.

I now think I am wrong on that.

Well only a little. Now I watch anime in sub still just because it comes out earlier and I can catch up to what is airing. However, I sometimes listen to dubs when rewatching and find it very well... not horrible. The VA's are able to give voices to their characters and make them sound more than just reading off a piece of paper and giving them the sound they should have. I wouldn't say dub>sub or sub>dub.

Just that subs come out quicker for obvious reason

Personally I like both but I lean a bit more towards dub as I prefer a language I understand rather than a language that sound beautiful but I have no idea what they are saying, It's hard to explain but I like understanding what I'm hearing. Then there is the ''connection'' or ''nostalgia'' I have for a few VA that makes me watch English over Japanese, for example if the VA Juliet Simmons is cast in an anime I'll probably watch the dub. Than we come to the writing or specifically the comedy of the anime. I can't tell you how many times my Japanese friends, and by friends I mean friend, have said ''this is a hilarious show, you need to watch it'' and I didn't even laugh one bit because it relied heavily on Japanese wordplay and such. There is no problem when it's a joke that's both in the writing but also in the animation like in Kill La Kill with the Mako scenes, seriously those make me laugh in whatever language they are in and if you haven't seen those that's the first thing on your bucket list to do. However there is still a few things the Japanese have over the english dubbed version. Like most Japanese dubs as for what feels like 99,9999999% out of 100% good voice acting whereas the english dubs is more 50 - 50 on the subject, or so I feel.

Edit: Just something I forgot to mention is that dubs have also become better and better over the years since a long ways back so really now days it doesn't really matter whatever language you watch it in.

Last edited:
That is hard question to ask it all really depends on anime I am watching. Right now I am watching deadman wonderland sub because it's hard for me to hear what they are saying. If it is a show that I love like attack on titan or my hero academia I will just watch it dub because I don't know why. One show I will never watch dub is assassination classroom I hate koro sensei voice it just does not go well with him.

Depends on the availability. I usually watch on Crunchyroll so I usually end up watching subs, but I don't mind dubs at all. There's a channel here that showed Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann and Durarara! dubbed and I enjoyed them in English as much as I did in Japanese.

I prefer subs, but sometimes I'll watch a dub for nostalgia. Magic User's Club has a really good English dub. I think it holds up pretty well these days.

Usually, I prefer English Dub, because I find it easier to listen to it and understand it better when it’s in my native language. But, if it’s a really good anime, and everyone watches it in English Sub, then I probably would too.

Subtitles all the way! Most fo the time I like how the Japanese voice actors sound more than the english ones and I really don't mind reading a movie.

I always watch in Japanese with English subs so I can learn Japanese. Plus, the English sub sounds weird, like foreigners trying to hard with their voices...it's a bit hard to listen to for me. I think if I weren't learning Japanese, I might go with the dubbed version, but I realy don't like the way it sounds.

Back