English dub or sub?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Ahh the famous Dub/Sub debate. Usually I go for subs on most Anime I watch but there are series that have amazing dubs (sometimes even better then the original.) So honestly it depends on the quality of voice actors and the amount of censorship.

Dubs all the way. I can't see why you would want to watch the sub if there's a decent dub available provided you're not a fluent Japanese speaker, honestly despite being good at reading, I would rather just listen to voices I can understand. I can feel more emotion when they speak.

The dubs bother me mostly, the only dubs I could ever watch are actually Death Note and DragonBall. I prefer the sub because of the voice acting and because while watching the subbed versions I can learn and improve the language and even if I wanted a dubbed one you can find subbed versions easier than dubbed.

I preferred dubs initially, but subs won me over because in most of the anime I've watched, the Japanese voice actors just... fit. The only anime I've watched in which I prefer the dubs are Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy.

I prefer sub over dub because dub voices don't really fit most of the time.

I like it subbed because the voices in english are horrible, I agree that yuo do not have to read instead but I rather read it and maybe learn a bit of Japanese on the way but it is really good in Japanese cause I like the original voice

Im fine with dub but I prefer sub (I can't wait to learn japanese ditch those subs lol)

Subs for me~ I just prefer seeing the original version, since the dub tends to be edited. n_n Only time I watch the dub is if I can't find a subbed version. xD

I honestly prefer subbed. I just don't like it when they change the names, or dub the opening (like in sailor moon, the opening well, I'm not very fond of to say in the nicest way possible.)

I prefer sticking with english subs because I prefer listening to the original actors' voice perfomance in japanese, even if I don't understand a single word other than "Good Morning","Thank you" and "Goodbye,but thankfully,they have subtitles to help on the transition. :dead:
The only anime which I tend to watch in english dubbing is Pokemon,and I heard that Dragon Ball's english dubbing isn't really bad,since in most cases,english dubbing in anime tends to not have voices fitting with the character,which doesn't make the anime better than it's Japan version counterpart.Not saying the english language is always bad on anime,by the way. :thumbsup:

I will listen to dub if and only if Crispin Freeman's glorious voice is on the roster.

jk

On a serious note, it depends on what I'm watching. I don't have any qualms about either or.

l usually prefer subs. But Funimation makes the best dubs, l always watch it in dub. If its in Japanese, lt might not feel right at first, but l eventually got used to it since l've always watched subs. Dubs are different. They voices does not fit the characters most of the time. Example, watch this episode and tell me their voices match.
And sometimes, you might actually fjnd a guy or girl that looks hot to you, but the dubs ruined the hotness because their voices have a high pitch.

Also, l apoligize for some bad words on here, you can just watch one scene or something. l really do apoligize. :(

Last edited:
Subtitels for the win! I tried a few dubs but I always find two problems, either the voices are extra-ordinary annoying and unfit for the character or they are completely out of pace with the video itself. I also think that watching with subs is a bit more respectful to the original artists. Whatever it is, whether it is a book, game, film or series I always try to stick to the original language. After all, they poured their hearts and souls into it. (Literally if you believe the Japanese.) But that's possibly a bit superstitious.

Actually, I don't care. Either way is fine by me. Heck, one day when I make an anime, the Japanese dub will come last.

The dub of Panty and Stocking is better than the sub, in my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Panty and Stocking had a great dub.

Reactions: Doctor Strange
Sub all the way. The english dub sounds awful. If you listen to the anime in Japanese, it sounds awesome and also makes you want to keep watching. If you hear it in dub, it makes you want to sleep. They don't have the same energy as the Japanese. It makes the anime sound boring and dead.

Sub all the way. The english dub sounds awful. If you listen to the anime in Japanese, it sounds awesome and also makes you want to keep watching. If you hear it in dub, it makes you want to sleep. They don't have the same energy as the Japanese. It makes the anime sound boring and dead.
Yeah, but in some cases, the sub is more annoying. Seriously?! Why are Japanese teenage girls always excited?! I would get it if they're little girls, but they're teenagers, for crying out loud! At least in the dub, its not as loud and obnoxious. And there are some cases the dub is better than the sub.

Subs are generally better just because for the most part, until the 2000s, most dubs were really bad (and the old fascination with changing all the names, while I guess it made sense at the time, clearly emerged as being an awful idea). Dubbing standards have gotten better - the voice actors are actually good at it now - but it's still rare for a dub to be better than the original.

Of course, there are exceptions. FLCL's dub was a work of art (since its creator hand-picked English voice actors if he felt they had the same "spirit" as the original) and was even more fantastic because its localization had to come up with its own jokes. Baccano!'s dub is flawless and Hellsing's is spectacular. Watanabe's work (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy) always manages to be outright better than the original Japanese, too.

But for the most part, subs all the way.

When watching anime, do you prefer English dub or English sub?
Depends on the anime. For example, I'll watch dragon ball Z dubbed because Goku's Japanese voice is horrid. But when it comes to Anime's like Owari no seraph, I'll watch it Sub since it's easier, and I prefer those voices.

Subs all the way, I usually prefer to watch something in its original language, except if the translation has been really well made.

Back