English dub or sub?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Honestly, it depends. For me, when it comes to most anime, I alternate between dub and sub. If the story is changed in the dub, I watch both dub and sub to compare them. If the anime is dubbed by 4Kids, it's either something decent like Pokémon, or laughably bad, so I'd still watch those dubs as guilty pleasure. If the dub hasn't come out yet, I mainly just watch sub and then when dub comes out, I check out the dub and maybe rewatch it. Then there's anime like One Piece. I mainly keep up with the dub so then once I catch up, I have more time to watch other anime. So it all depends.
If you hate dubs, I completely respect your opinion.

I prefer the Dubs a lot of times just because I watch them with friends who can't stand to read the subtitles at the bottom XD Though there are times where I will watch some subs, especially when the Dub has yet to be released and I can't force myself to wait for it. And it just depends on how well its translated too. I know I'll be watching with my sister, who always watches most things in Japanese before watching the Dub(she speaks Japanese too so she can actually understand it) and if she says somethign was translated wrong I'll go back and watch the Subbed version afterwards. But both are good I think. Just depends on what you personally prefer.

For something like Ghost Stories, absolutely the dub. /snorts
Generally I prefer subtitles; even if localization in subtitles changes a few things, it feel more accurate to hear the original dialogue & voice actors. If I find a dub before a sub, I'll always dig around a bit to see if I can find a sub instead.

The first time I watched anime was in English dub. Then after I started watching in subtitles. Only rarely do I now watch anime English dubbed.

I moved from dubs to prefer the subs, 'cause I get to know the original voice, and most of the animes don't, really have an... Oficial dub. And most of the "Oficial" dubs sucx. Don't get me wrong there are really good dubs out there and some others are really enjoyable, and on some rare ocasssions the dub is better. but, I'll have to stay with the sub.
(Plus, japanese is awesome, and why not try and hear it while you're studying it)

English subbed cause i freaking love original voice actors!!!! especially when it comes to Naruto and Dragon Ball Z

In my early anime days, I used to watch dubs all the time because I had this irrational thought that I wouldn't enjoy the anime if I watched it with subs! Due to this, I always came across cool anime that only had subs and passed it by, usually missing out on future seasons of anime. Digimon was a culprit of this when I was younger, seasons would come out on sub only before getting dubbed, so it would be years before I would actually watch them.

Nowadays, I normally always watch anime subbed, I've gotten so used to it I'd probably freak out if I watched a dubbed version (unless it was really good!).

I dont really mind either. But if I started a series with the Dub eg. Naruto then I like to stay with the dub in that series as that is what I am used to for the voices, but on the other hand if I started with the Sub; I switch between dub and sub as I am not as used to the voices.

Always gotta watch the sub before the dub. Then I compare the voice acting to see which is better.

English subs are much better from my experience.. The only good english dub is Dragon Ball Kai.. everything else.. Japanese pls.

It's a bit sad they don't seem to try that hard with English dubs. I guess most are on kids channels so they know the kids will enjoy them regardless, but it's pretty slack.

Fairy Tail's english dub for example is putrid.

English subs are much better from my experience.. The only good english dub is Dragon Ball Kai.. everything else.. Japanese pls.

It's a bit sad they don't seem to try that hard with English dubs. I guess most are on kids channels so they know the kids will enjoy them regardless, but it's pretty slack.

Fairy Tail's english dub for example is putrid.
In some cases, the English dub is arguably better than the Japanese version, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk Black Lagoon, Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, Fooly Cooly, Panty and Stocking and Baccano! are anime series that come to mind where people have claimed the English dub to be better than the original.

It really depends on the anime I'm watching. Most of them I prefer watching english subbed but when I was watching Soul Eater I preffered watvhing it english dubbed. It really depends on the voices of the characters. :p

I always preffer Sub, since I'm speak Spanish, and all the Spanish dubs I have watched are awful!!

I always preffer Sub, since I'm speak Spanish, and all the Spanish dubs I have watched are awful!!
I've watched some Spanish dub with English subs to the dubs and it's pretty hilarious. xD The translations are so silly!

Reactions: Zukrad
I've watched some Spanish dub with English subs to the dubs and it's pretty hilarious. xD The translations are so silly!
LOL even the official Dubs from some Kids shows have some messed up stuff!! and in purpose XD

Last edited by a moderator:
In some cases, the English dub is arguably better than the Japanese version, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk Black Lagoon, Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, Fooly Cooly, Panty and Stocking and Baccano! are anime series that come to mind where people have claimed the English dub to be better than the original.
Gosh that's more shows than I would've thought! To be fair though I don't really watch much anime, I should get into it a bit more. Which of those would you suggest to watch most?

I've never watched any Spanish dubs with english subs (or vise versa), is it really that bad? xD

Honestly I'm not gonna lie, for awhile I've always been all about english dubs than subs but there was anime I liked that stopped airing in English so I tried subbed and after I got used to it I always watched subbed anime and rarely rubbed. Except for Pokemon when I occasionally watch it...voices are so annoying for Pokemon >.<.

Honestly I'm not gonna lie, for awhile I've always been all about english dubs than subs but there was anime I liked that stopped airing in English so I tried subbed and after I got used to it I always watched subbed anime and rarely rubbed. Except for Pokemon when I occasionally watch it...voices are so annoying for Pokemon >.<.
Oh really? I watch rubbed anime frequently.

Gosh that's more shows than I would've thought! To be fair though I don't really watch much anime, I should get into it a bit more. Which of those would you suggest to watch most?

I've never watched any Spanish dubs with english subs (or vise versa), is it really that bad? xD
Honestly, they're all worth watching but Cowboy Bebop and Fooly Cooly especially, they're two of my personal favorites.

Actually ye, they often say completely different things from the original.

Back