[eShop] Do you change your country to get away from paying tax?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Some people change their country via Settings on their Nintendo 3DS to get away from paying tax when purchasing digital games via the Nintendo eShop. Of course, this can't be done with a credit/debit card. However, if you use one of those 3DS eShop card codes, you're in luck, :thumbsup:

Do you change your country via 3DS Settings to get away from paying tax?

Reactions: Isabella, ErixSan and Flarence
eShop isn't available in my country so I changed it to US - and I do change the zip code to avoid tax :D

Reactions: BlackTunicLink and Marc
Lol I don't have to change my country or Zip Code to avoid tax on the Eshop. . . I didn't even know that the Eshop HAD taxes!! xC I feel so out of the loop!

Reactions: Ravskins and Marc
eShop isn't available in my country so I changed it to US - and I do change the zip code to avoid tax :D

Same here...

I didn't even know this was a thing. Would have been nice, I would have probably saved at least 30$ by now.

What zip should i change mine to?

Don't remember. It's on Google, I think.

Any Oregon zip code would do for zero tax. But you can also change it 99551 (Alaska) which minimizes tax so much it's always zero on 3DS eShop purchases.

I don't get charged tax when I purchase stuff on the eShop.

Some people change their country via Settings on their Nintendo 3DS to get away from paying tax when purchasing digital games via the Nintendo eShop. Of course, this can't be done with a credit/debit card. However, if you use one of those 3DS eShop card codes, you're in luck, :thumbsup:

Do you change your country via 3DS Settings to get away from paying tax?
Yeah, absolutely can't afford the extra dollars, stacks up pretty quickly.

I just changed the zip code to a sales tax-free location and nothing extra was added to the cost. I bet Nintendo keeps the tax money for themselves. If they cannot validate and see if we put in correct information, then what makes you think they are actually taking and using the tax money appropriately?

I just changed the zip code to a sales tax-free location and nothing extra was added to the cost. I bet Nintendo keeps the tax money for themselves. If they cannot validate and see if we put in correct information, then what makes you think they are actually taking and using the tax money appropriately?

They're Nintendo of Japan, Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe.
Nintendo of America has the United States laws, so that is the reason there are taxes.

They're Nintendo of Japan, Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe.
Nintendo of America has the United States laws, so that is the reason there are taxes.

I never had to pay taxes on iTunes.

I never had to pay taxes on iTunes.

But there is taxes on PSN for example.

But there is taxes on PSN for example.

I'm not familiar with how Playstation works because I'm on Team Xbox 360. I don't what the purpose is if you can just lie about your zip code, but they can do what they want. All I know is, I'm not going to be paying an extra because of tax.

I'm not familiar with how Playstation works because I'm on Team Xbox 360. I don't what the purpose is if you can just lie about your zip code, but they can do what they want. All I know is, I'm not going to be paying an extra because of tax.

I neither. Well, it's logical because I live outside of USA.

They must keep those taxes for them :D

My country got banned by Ninty, so there would not be any eShop feature for my country :D

My country got banned by Ninty, so there would not be any eShop feature for my country :D
That sucks - my country doesn't even exist according to Nintendo. You can change it to US and it'll work though.

That sucks - my country doesn't even exist according to Nintendo. You can change it to US and it'll work though.
yep. Did it.

My country exists (I think it still) but It's empty.

Back