[eShop] Do you change your country to get away from paying tax?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
I recently changed my address just to make sure I won't get charged tax. Tax just doesn't make sense, especially on an isolated eShop selling digital games. In addition, if I only have $40 funds on my account and I want to buy a $40 game, I can't because I don't have the funds to cover tax. I think I'd take the address workaround rather than having to go out and buy another eShop card in order to pay off the tax.
The area change workaround works best, but it isn't worth it if you have purchased many game son your previous NNID account. You need to delete your NNID account to change the country/region, but it is worth it seeing how much money you can save by skipping tax.

Smart thinking marc ;P i'll keep it in mind...

I changed my country for Great Brittain on my Wii, as they had much cheaper points than Sweden does, but other than that, no. I didn't know there was a difference on 3DS even?

Yup ..I change the country in my eshop to find something that doesnt have the in my country ..but before this I does pay taxes when buying game..at that time I dont know about method changing postcode to buy something without taxes in eshop..but I found those in a post within 3dspedia forum . Now thanks for those who share the method..

I wasn't even aware that it was possible to do so. So the answer is no, and I pay taxes each time... Oh why did I not know about this haha.

I do in some cases. The matter is that I live in Uruguay and unfortunately there is no eshop here. So in order to buy a digital game I must change my country settings to actually buy the game. I use a debit card for it but sometime it is difficult to avoid the taxes. For example if I change my location to the US, the 3ds system will not allow me to use the debit card, this thing does not happen if I change to Canada, but I have to pay some taxes.

I did change mine. I got tired of having to load extra money onto my 3DS just so i could pay taxes. They get enough from me for the games already. It has saved me a lot of money.

I have to use the US zip code too, and yes a tax free region.
I guess most of the Thai people have to do this as most of them have a NA region 3DS (the Thai 3DS forum has a list of tax free US zip codes)

not really I don't buy nothing from e-shop but I changed it because when I put my country I didn't get the most recent games and stuff so I changed it to NA.I'm going to change it though if I'm going to buy a game that I want.

I did that once but I just felt guilty so the next day I changed it back

Eh, no. I know for a fact that I will probably never buy anything from the eShop, so I'm sticking with my country (NA). Tax or not, I won't buy anything from the eShop. Although if I did buy something, I would still keep my country as NA.

I change my country for tax

You can actually do that? OMG Iv'e been spending 3 extra bucks for nothinG, THANKs Marc!;):)

I didn't even realize there was tax lol
Is this only the nintendo eshop or is it also in playstation store and Xbox store digital?

My country is set to the US because there is no eshop in my country. I searched for tax-free us zip codes and entered one of them in my NNID and my Nintendo eshop. No tax for me!!! (feel srry for people who pay tax)

I do! I have changed my country to United States and entered a tax free zip code to avoid paying tax. Otherwise, your eshop credit is wasted on nothing.

I am so glad that there are regions where the sales tax is zero :3

Reactions: codyplays
Of course, this can't be done with a credit/debit card.

Did you know it's actually possible?
When the eShop cards started to be more expensive in my country, people discovered it was possible to use their credits card on the Canadian eShop, allowing almost any credit card to be used to pay games.

eShop isn't available in my country so I changed it to US - and I do change the zip code to avoid tax :D
That's exactly what I did
Where do you live tho? I live in Brazil and we have no eShop T_T

That's exactly what I did
Where do you live tho? I live in Brazil and we have no eShop T_T
:locktopic: (I'd also appreciate it if the people who do know where I live don't tell :panda: )

AFAIK Brazil does have an eShop, or at least it did in 2011, I checked it just for the lulz when a friend told me about R$.
That was before NNIDs locked everyone out of the eShop if they tried to change their region.

:locktopic: (I'd also appreciate it if the people who do know where I live don't tell :panda: )

AFAIK Brazil does have an eShop, or at least it did in 2011, I checked it just for the lulz when a friend told me about R$.
That was before NNIDs locked everyone out of the eShop if they tried to change their region.
Yea it does HAVE it on the 3DS but you can't buy anything, and on the Wii U it is unavaliable since the launch :/

Back