Iso Kilo's Sonic 1 Development

• Thread starter Iso Kilo
  • Start date
Iso Kilo

Iso Kilo

Sonic 1 Hacker
Towns Folk
During my absence, I have been messing around with Sonic 1's code. Creating new power ups and the such. This is where I'll post some of these findings and creations. It should be noted that this is perfectly legal and is in fact supported by Sega and Sonic Team themselves. Some people like Simon Thomely and Christian Whitehead, both hackers and Sonic fan game developers were hired by Sega to work on the mobile ports of Sonic 1, 2 and CD, even Mania. So to kick off this post, here's 3 new monitors I made; Bomb (based off an old guide made by MarkeyJester), High jump and Spike behavior. Videos are here:
Bomb
High Jump
& Spike behavior
Expect more in the future!

Reactions: Mikaya
During my absence, I have been messing around with Sonic 1's code. Creating new power ups and the such. This is where I'll post some of these findings and creations. It should be noted that this is perfectly legal and is in fact supported by Sega and Sonic Team themselves. Some people like Simon Thomely and Christian Whitehead, both hackers and Sonic fan game developers were hired by Sega to work on the mobile ports of Sonic 1, 2 and CD, even Mania. So to kick off this post, here's 3 new monitors I made; Bomb (based off an old guide made by MarkeyJester), High jump and Spike behavior. Videos are here:
Bomb
High Jump
& Spike behavior
Expect more in the future!
That looks really cool! I didn't know Sega supported this sort of thing!

I might download some of these and try them if they are on steam workshop.

I might download some of these and try them if they are on steam workshop.
These are just personal experiments that might show up in future projects. For now, they are not publicly available for download.

These are just personal experiments that might show up in future projects. For now, they are not publicly available for download.
oh well

So I can't really show this since the code isn't finished, but I'm developing Mighty's hammer drop attack. It's coming along well. And to compensate for a lack of evidence, here's just a screenshot of Mighty:unknown.png

So I can't really show this since the code isn't finished, but I'm developing Mighty's hammer drop attack. It's coming along well. And to compensate for a lack of evidence, here's just a screenshot of Mighty:View attachment 18550
Heyyyy that looks really cool. You seem to be really good at this sort of thing.

Heyyyy that looks really cool. You seem to be really good at this sort of thing.
Well, on October 9th, I'll have been hacking for 1 year. So I do have experience.

Well, on October 9th, I'll have been hacking for 1 year. So I do have experience.
Niiiiiice! You will probably become an expert soon enough I'm sure

Niiiiiice! You will probably become an expert soon enough I'm sure
Not really, according to Pacca, Natsumi and MarkeyJester it took them 4 to 10 years to become decent hackers.

Not really, according to Pacca, Natsumi and MarkeyJester it took them 4 to 10 years to become decent hackers.
Woah ten whole years? Really? Thats a really long time! You're probably already a decent hacker.

Compared to Markey I'm nothing. Lets take a look.
Markey:
Me:

Markey:
Me:
Well both of them look really cool and something I could never do

Well both of them look really cool and something I could never do
Sonic 1 ROM hacking is actually a really easy thing once you get the hang of it.

Sonic 1 ROM hacking is actually a really easy thing once you get the hang of it.
I am pretty sure I could somewhat easily do it after doing it a lot.

Currently developing 2 randomizer routines and a false Mode 7. Most of these borrowed from Super Mario World.

Markey:
Me:
1st, the stuff you’ve made is awsome.
2nd, people should stop comparing themselves to YouTubers, as the people who post thier talent to YouTube are usually some of the best.

1st, the stuff you’ve made is awsome.
2nd, people should stop comparing themselves to YouTubers, as the people who post thier talent to YouTube are usually some of the best.
I wasn't comparing myself to a Youtuber I was comparing myself to the top Sonic hacker. The video I just showed was from a Youtuber. MarkeyJester himself only has 691 subs. It's just that his hacks are better than mine.

I was comparing myself to the top Sonic hacker.
What im trying to say is just because you aren’t even close to the top sonic hacker doesn’t mean your work isn’t great and is very good and above average.

I went over to a friends house and he was like, “here’s what i was doing before you got here” then he plays this really hard song on expert in guitar hero and i was like “wow” and he was like, “im still not as good as this youtuber who is one of the best guitar hero players” and im like “dude u amazing”

Back