Iso Kilo's Sonic 1 Development

• Thread starter Iso Kilo
  • Start date
So I'm not sure why but, a subroutine of ObjectsLoad is trying to load object $D0, which means you can't get past the title screen without the game crashing since object $D0 doesn't exist. The worst part is that the error handler can't figure out where it's to, only from. In the mean time, I went and other things that will be useless once I give the game an overhaul, like fixing Robotnik's art to fit Tails' palette.

Problem solved. I was moving a0 into an SST, at the time of code execution $D0 would be in a0. Therefore attempting to load object $D0.
Before;
Code:
Obj01: ;Tails
move.b #2,($FFFFD1EE).w ;Set Tails' tails as child object
move.l a0,($FFFFDXXX).w ;Load object $D0, crash. I forgot the exact RAM address.
After;
Code:
Obj01: ;Tails
move.b #2,($FFFFD1EE).w ;Ditto of block 1
move.b #2,a0
move.l a0,($FFFFDXXX).w ;Load Tails' tails
Also, video coming soon.

A little bit of VRAM adjusting and Tails' tails should be done. Side that with some fixed angle animations and I can finally get into the fun stuff. I've got someone working on a remix of Poloy Forest's music, so that's something to look forward to. And I've been sketching up concepts for level chunks. Aside from the interesting things, I've begun filling out buisness lisencing papers to make Team Kyukyoku an actual company. However, they won't submitted until 2023, since I'm a child and Kyu's current balance is only enough to get 1 really nice Huion tablet.

So, VRAM shifting was not helpful, but I'll keep trying to fix it, I did get close at some point, though. So I'll see if I can replicate it. Not much to say after that.

Lost my USB
Lost everything
Time to start over

Kind of losing motivation to do this stuff. I just want to focus on my art career... Losing my USB has really put me down. I've lost all progress on Tails' Tales. My tool configurations, poof.

I'm going to try and buy a new drive off of a friend. Hopefully I can get it for cheap, I spent a lot of my commission money on snacks. In other news, I'm possibly writing a fan live action Sonic movie in collaboration with A+Start and a few other folks. Also, I'm now a concept artist and character designer for a game called Voltaire's Electric Saga. My comic with fellow Sonic hacker, Natsumi, has had 0 progress. My horror story is starting to kick off. And I'm getting more commissions by the day.

I'm an idiot. I spent $4.50 on snacks, now I can't get the drive. Maybe we're close enough that he'll just give me the drive for free. So stupid...

Good news. Very very good news. I scrounged around my house and found an SD card, and immediatly went to work. Since September 11, 2018, I have been struggling to port Tails' tails into Sonic 1. But on December 30, 2018, it had been done. All that's needed now is to fix the pushing sprites and we'll basically have Iso Kilo's Tails in Sonic 1. But, there's still more to do. I'm currently in search of a level artist, so that would be useful.

September 11, 2018
December 29 (Spindash fixed on 30), 2018

I have made an absurd amount of progress since the last update. Here are the videos showcasing them
Also working on a new monitor, 'Phase'. Based on a power up made by redhotsonic, in which I had been given permission to develop. Should be relatively simple, just changing Sonic's plane. Wish me luck.

I have just made a major discovery for Sonic 1. If you were to ever use debug mode in the Special Zone, and make yourself fall out of bounds, you may encounter this:
Sonic the Hedgehog000.png
It's a garbled mess of Special Zone objects, sure, but what is it really?

Most have speculated that this is leftovers from the Beta's Special Zones. But this makes no sense at all. These levels are essentially unplayable. There's no way Yuji Naka would have had a stroke in the level editor like this. But I have come to a conclusion: This is a visualization of the game's memory. Similar to Super Mario Land 2, the Special Zone layouts are close to other bits of memory in RAM. So when Sonic tries moving past the Special Zone, he enters the memory. This means in-game memory manipulation is a possiblity. How to read it, I'm still unsure, as the maze rotates. What I do know is that collecting things like rings, lives and emeralds in this mess can affect data. Imagine the implications of this! You could do simple tasks like giving yourself extra lives to rewriting the whole game!

Progress dump:
Here's a monitor inspired by one made in RedHotSonic's RedHotSonic 2
Re-added an unused animation from Sonic CD. Not really useful in S1 since there's only 2 electrical hazards. Was refreshing to test something in a level that wasn't Green Hill.
Me and MarkeyJester (brought up earlier in the thread) have become pretty good friends. I even get previews of his projects (Can't provide further details, though) so, as a gift, he helped me fix S1's Debug mode. For reference: In S1's debug mode, you can only select 1 invalid monitor. And after collecting a ring or monitor via debug, you can't place more afterwards.
I'm also working on a disassembly, which in case you don't know, is like an unofficial version of a game's source code.
upload_2019-4-14_4-44-22.png
Should be noted that this won't be the final folder layout as Natsumi (Another hacker, might have mentioned her before) sayed it is, and I quote "Poop". So, I'm going to use one similar to her project that I'm helping with: The SSRG disam project.
Edit: Here's the structure from the SSRG disam project in question, also from MarkeyJester. He noted that artnem, anim, maps and _0 Temp are temporary. (Actually _0 Temp should be obvious)
000.PNG

Last edited:
Long time no see, people! Have I've got a ton of updates for you. Over the past 2 months I've been working on a new ROM hack: Ray in Sonic 1.
There had been a previous version from Fabricechaotix back in 2007. However, since the release of Sonic Mania Plus, it had become horribly outdated. Thanks to a member of Team Kyukyoku, I've been able to make an updated version. I'll provide some screenshots, videos and even a test ROM!
For those of you concerned about the legal information relating to ROM hacks; Sonic Team and Sega are okay with them, as long as this ROM is modified (Which it is) it's fair game. Enough with the rambling, here's 2 months of work!

1566387312337.png1566387398110.png
1566387452344.png1566387574478.png
1566387661917.png1566387751282.png

And here's the ROM that should be attached below. (Note, you'll need a Genesis/Mega Drive emulator. I recommend Fusion 3.64)

Attachments

• Ray in Sonic 1 Prototype.zip
    391.8 KB · Views: 0
If you notice a lot of video links in this thread don't work anymore, it's because I deleted them off my channel. Because I recently met 100 subscribers, I'm going to try and keep a consistent style with my videos. And those videos don't fit into that style.

Holy crud, that's a lot of updates all at once!

BTW: You have a new subscriber!

Reactions: Iso Kilo
Holy crud, that's a lot of updates all at once!

BTW: You have a new subscriber!
Thanks mate! The reason why there's been a ton of updates is because I've been pretty inactive here, but active elsewhere. And so when I do rarely come on, I can dump massive progress.

• Informative
Reactions: Jisenku
Been a while, have some updates:

• Informative
Reactions: Jisenku
Back