Iso Kilo's Sonic 1 Development

• Thread starter Iso Kilo
  • Start date
Changed the credits font to share the error handler and level select font. However, a newer font is being developed.
Capture.PNG

Dude, this is sick! I had no idea people did things like this, and I’m a major fan of Sonic the Hedgehog! Your work is truly something to behold! I know I couldn’t do this, lul.

It's nothing special. There are people who can do what I do 20 times better than me.

It's nothing special. There are people who can do what I do 20 times better than me.
Doesn’t mean its not good...

If you were a member of this community* you'd understand that isn't good at all.
*Sonic hacking community

If you were a member of this community* you'd understand that isn't good at all.
*Sonic hacking community
Im just saying, the people in a sonic hacking community would definitely either be really good or be trying to be, but it’s still impressive to us.
Also, i know a bit about programming, and this stuff couldn’t have been a quick process to set up.

Also, i know a bit about programming, and this stuff couldn’t have been a quick process to set up.
I just drew over some pre-existing mappings, not much to it.

And here are some more screenshots.
S1E Staff Page 1.PNG S1E Staff Page 2.PNG Tea Kyu Staff Page.PNG Sonic Team Page.PNG Assets Page.PNG

You added pixel art to the credits? Awesome:
I did it because there was 16 tiles leftover from changing the original font. Just so happens that Sonic's palette has 16 colors. So I made flat colored tiles and built some pixel art to gain the players attention rather than just skipping it over, since there is a lot of people who worked on this game, directly and indirectly. I've also extended the time the credits lasted on screen from 2 seconds to 5. Just so there's enough time for the player to read it. However, on the last one there was a bit of struggle, but thanks to the program director, Nat The Porcupine, he fixed it up. However, until we're sure of what guides we're using from SSRG or Sonic Retro, there won't be a page update for a while. I know for a fact we'll have to credit those who worked on the spindash guide. Saddens me how hackers find something like that so trivial and they just leave it out of the credits. Besides, I still have like 5 more pages to fill with credits, it won't bother me to credit everyone who did anything to make the hack they way it is.

Ok, maybe that was a lie.
SSRGSR Page.png Thx Page.PNG

So this shouldn't be possible, but here we are. Mega Drive scaling. This team is amazing.

Here's how those credit pages look in action.

Well, I've stepped down from director of Sonic 1 Encore and Sonic Kyukyoku. I now only supervise these projects. This is because Natsumi has given me the chance to work on a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Battle Race. The project will be worked on mostly by myself, however Natsumi herself might come and help every now and then. So expect to see things more about multiplayer over credits and characters.

Note to future self, edit this post to include screenshot of source code, and remove this line.
So currently I'm porting a CPU/2P version of Tails into Sonic 1. I thought it would be as easy as pasting his code from Sonic 2, WRONG. Sonic 2 used equates, instead of pure RAM addresses, which is what Sonic 1 uses. For example;
Code:
;Sonic 2
           move.b   #$600,(Tails_TopSpeed).w ;Set Tails' top speed to byte 600 (hex)
Meanwhile;
Code:
;Sonic 1
          move.b   #$600,($FFFFF5C0).w ;Ditto of code block 1
So instead, I just pasted all of Sonic's code and replaced any instance of 'Obj01', or 'Sonic' with 'Obj02' and 'Tails'.
(For some, unknown reason, objects 2 through 7 went unused. Possibly stuff from prototypes and betas. My best guess would be the "Welcome to Green Hills!" sign, that weird blue monster enemy, the rolling ball, Splats, Marble Zone UFOs, Scrap Brain Zone's "DO NOT PUSH!" machine and a Madonna NPC.)
But then that became super tedious. So now I'm just completely rewriting Tails as an S2 Obj02 and S1 Obj01 hybrid.

Well, I can't edit my reply, but here it is anyways.
upload_2018-11-14_8-53-1.png

So, I've decided to take these little demos a bit further and I'm making it a full hack; Tails Tales. Essentially Tails' Adventure with the physics and level design of a regular Sonic level. Along with this I've made a discovery about the art, I can get about 11 colors that'd look decent for Tails' orange fur. HUD Yellow, the 2 darkest reds, both skin tones, black, and the 4 dedicated oranges. However, until I can find an artist who can utilize them well, I'm only using the 4 dedicated oranges.

Reactions: Samster
Alright, so I've decided on what hacks I'm making for Sonic Hacking Contest 2019. I know it's super early to decide this, since, SHC 2018 just wrapped up yesterday with the final results, but hacks take a long time to make. Sonic Kyukyoku will have been 3 years in the works by SHC 2019. Anyways, here's my project list for December 4, 2018 to November 11 [Date subject to change], 2019;
Tails' Tales. A retelling of the 1995 Game Gear classic, Tails Adventures. Tails must save Cocoa Island from a bird army that are in search of the Chaos Emeralds.
Sonic Gamma. A more polished version of what was Sonic Kyukyoku in SHC 2018. Essentially a regular classic Sonic game, hunt down Robotnik and go fast.
Sonic Kyukyoku. A completely new game. Sonic is given info that Robotnik is headed to Wasure Island. Kyuko, a 3 tailed kitsune, is a native to the island. [But she resides on Westside Island] In an old script she recieved from her father, Kyuko read of the 5 Kyukyoku Pearls. The Pearls are gaurded by their respective Spirit Warrior. And only someone with native blood and a pure heart can use them to their fullest. If one of these are missing, the user can only achieve an 'Echo' form. If both aren't present, then the Pearls may as well be rocks. So Kyuko headed to Wasure Island. Once she gets there, you'll have to find out what happens for yourself, when it comes out about 1 year from now.

Back