Supreme Court rules in favor of same-sex marriage nationwide

• Thread starter 9070
  • Start date
This conversation, as far as I can tell, is assuming that both parents aren't crappy.
Sorry, I saw that with your answer but I hadn't understood "role model" exactly the way I should have. I somehow added the notion of "difference"... (that's what French people get for participating in English conversations I guess :p). But yeah, now that you answered with the notion of difference, I can really ask the question I meant to ask earlier :p

Because the two genders are different.
Why would they ? I mean, all people have different aspirations, boys or girls, black or white, small or tall. Why would two people of a different gender necessarily behave differently ? And we are only talking about behaviour since we are talking about role models, so don't bring puberty again in the debate :p

Reactions: Kiki
I'm surprised no one's even bringing it up, but I would like to mention the fact that same-sex marriage means more than just official union of the two; for example, it can mean that if one of them dies, the surviving spouse typically gets to inherit what they had. It's more useful and meaningful than you might think, you know.

Because the two genders are different.
I feel like you're trying to say that "gender variety = good", but you can also say that for homosexual couples (sexual orientation variety = good) in the sense that differences make it more likely for the child to be open-minded, except the latter case is significantly better because discrimination towards homosexuals is more of an issue than sexism nowadays, so the exposure to both sexes, who are already very frequently encountered if you go outside, is less necessary.

If that's not one of the things you're trying to say, then rip idk what you're getting at, but it's still honestly a valid point to keep in mind regarding this discussion.

Why would they ? I mean, all people have different aspirations, boys or girls, black or white, small or tall. Why would two people of a different gender necessarily behave differently? And we are only talking about behaviour since we are talking about role models, so don't bring puberty again in the debate :p
But I love talking about things that are awkward for everyone... :p
It's pretty obvious that males and females act, think and interact which members of the same gender in different ways.

I feel like you're trying to say that "gender variety = good", but you can also say that for homosexual couples (sexual orientation variety = good) in the sense that differences make it more likely for the child to be open-minded, except the latter case is significantly better because discrimination towards homosexuals is more of an issue than sexism nowadays, so the exposure to both sexes, who are already very frequently encountered if you go outside, is less necessary.
Don't tell that to the feminists :p
Joking aside, for the death thing, so can a will.
As far as open-mindedness goes, I feel it has more to do with the environment that the child is raised in more than the sexual orientation of the parents. Sure, gay people are more open-minded towards homosexuality (for obvious reasons), but they can be just as close-minded in other areas.

I still don't understand why that is so important. Just because the child is raised by same sex parents doesn't mean they are completely isolated from the opposite sex. They will still go to school, work, have interactions with the public, have friends, etc. etc. and see how the opposite sex interacts that way.

I just don't understand why you don't seem to be okay with same sex couples adopting, yet you seem to be fine with single parents? They would face the same "issues" you are providing for same sex parents.

Same sex parents, single parents, opposite sex parents, house-holds with step parents, etc all face their own issues. All families have them, no family is perfect.

Being raised by a same sex couple wouldn't have a horrendous outcome on the child. They wouldn't be completely blind as to how the opposite sex works or how they should interact with them. They will have teachers, friends, coworkers, and their parents to tell them what is and isn't okay.

Reactions: Icemario
But I love talking about things that are awkward for everyone... :p
It's pretty obvious that males and females act, think and interact which members of the same gender in different ways.
Well... nope. First of all because as I said, we are all different, and there are boys who like hanging out with girls, or the contrary, etc. Second of all beause you are here making generalities about the majority of people... which homosexuals obviously aren't part of.

Reactions: 3823
Don't tell that to the feminists :p
Joking aside, for the death thing, so can a will.
As far as open-mindedness goes, I feel it has more to do with the environment that the child is raised in more than the sexual orientation of the parents. Sure, gay people are more open-minded towards homosexuality (for obvious reasons), but they can be just as close-minded in other areas.

But if the death is sudden and there is no will, what then?

Honestly, only school and the internet have really helped me become as open-mindedness as I am, I don't feel the environment has much effect regarding this besides education.

And realize that if someone is homosexual, the fact they made their own radically differing choice to the majority means that they'll more than likely be very accepting with any children they get because even if they're religious, they would probably not force the religion or any close-minded views on to them because they would be able to relate to this as they made the decision to come out as homosexual. Given this, it seems hugely probable that they would encourage an open mind. I know a lot of homosexuals and they are all very open-minded, so these words are not whipped out of thin air.

Like my parents are very strict Christians and they make a habit of forcing their particular beliefs on me, such as "you can't eat food given by anyone, not even friends" or the religion in itself. I personally choose to follow it but they're incredibly forceful about it so if you don't agree with these fairly close-minded views then you're probably in for a hard time. Much like many other Christian parents I know; but there are exceptions, just like what you're trying to generalize about males and females.

I still don't understand why that is so important. Just because the child is raised by same sex parents doesn't mean they are completely isolated from the opposite sex. They will still go to school, work, have interactions with the public, have friends, etc. etc. and see how the opposite sex interacts that way.

I just don't understand why you don't seem to be okay with same sex couples adopting, yet you seem to be fine with single parents? They would face the same "issues" you are providing for same sex parents.

Same sex parents, single parents, opposite sex parents, house-holds with step parents, etc all face their own issues. All families have them, no family is perfect.

Being raised by a same sex couple wouldn't have a horrendous outcome on the child. They wouldn't be completely blind as to how the opposite sex works or how they should interact with them. They will have teachers, friends, coworkers, and their parents to tell them what is and isn't okay.
You realize it's same-sex couples as a whole I have a problem with, not just the adopting part, right?
I'm not saying any family is perfect, I'm saying that different-sex couples are better than same-sex couples.
And I know they won't be completely blind to the opposite sex, but it helps to have a female in the house (and sisters have a chance to hate you :p)

Well... nope. First of all because as I said, we are all different, and there are boys who like hanging out with girls, or the contrary, etc. Second of all beause you are here making generalities about the majority of people... which homosexuals obviously aren't part of.
I know there are exceptions. However, as a whole, the genders are different and those generalities exist for a reason. And even homosexuals fall into them.

But if the death is sudden and there is no will, what then?

Honestly, only school and the internet have really helped me become as open-mindedness as I am, I don't feel the environment has much effect regarding this besides education.

And realize that if someone is homosexual, the fact they made their own radically differing choice to the majority means that they'll more than likely be very accepting with any children they get because even if they're religious, they would probably not force the religion or any close-minded views on to them because they would be able to relate to this as they made the decision to come out as homosexual. Given this, it seems hugely probable that they would encourage an open mind. I know a lot of homosexuals and they are all very open-minded, so these words are not whipped out of thin air.

Like my parents are very strict Christians and they make a habit of forcing their particular beliefs on me, such as "you can't eat food given by anyone, not even friends" or the religion in itself. I personally choose to follow it but they're incredibly forceful about it so if you don't agree with these fairly close-minded views then you're probably in for a hard time. Much like many other Christian parents I know; but there are exceptions, just like what you're trying to generalize about males and females.
Then that's their own fault.
I include school as part of the environment you're raised in, by the way.
Maybe so, but I don't think that open-mindedness is as great as everyone says it is.

But why does it help to have a female in the house?

Then that's their own fault.
That's actually a horrible thing to say in actual situations, the person may have died at an age early enough you wouldn't expect them to need a will.

About time the US did something that didn't make us seem like a complete laughingstock, but I'm a little disappointed that it was only a 5-4 majority, there is legitimately no reason for anyone to be in dissent over same sex marriage.
I don't know if someone already said this, but the 4 against was only because they felt that it wasn't their job to decide that. They thought the people should be the ones to change the rules, state by state.

But why does it help to have a female in the house?
It's best for both, I was just sayin for you.
That's actually a horrible thing to say in actual situations, the person may have died at an age early enough you wouldn't expect them to need a will.
Death doesn't discriminate. I'm not sayin people should focus on Death, but it's their job to prepare for it.

Back