Mario Kart What is your favorite Mario Kart game?

• Thread starter Catstew
  • Start date
For me, it was Mario Kart 7. I love how Gliders were introduced in the game, and it was the first portable Mario Kart game that actually had decent graphics. xD

The courses were great, and it felt very balanced and well made. Plus, it’s Mario Kart, so you could have almost endless fun with it! The fact that it’s portable as well makes it great to play with friends, too!

For me, it was Mario Kart 7. I love how Gliders were introduced in the game, and it was the first portable MARIO Kart game that actually had decent graphics. xD

The courses were great, and it felt very balanced and well made. Plus, it’s Mario Kart, so you could have almost endless fun with it! The fact that it’s portable as well makes it great to play with friends, too!
Yes! Mario Kart 7 is amazing! The graphics aren't the best but they aren't terrible either. The portability is the best part though.

I have... fond memories of mario kart 7. The most prevalent being the Nintendo World Championships's qualifiers last year. I remember grinding the same course over and over again, and I never got sick of it.

I have... fond memories of mario kart 7. The most prevalent being the Nintendo World Championships's qualifiers last year. I remember grinding the same course over and over again, and I never got sick of it.
That must of been pretty fun! What course was it that you grinded on?

Bowser Castle 1. Since I was 13, I had to do that course with bowser and standard everything.

Reactions: Shiny
Either Mario Kart Wii, or MK7. I can't decide, because I love both so much.

Either Mario Kart Wii, or MK7. I can't decide, because I love both so much.
Same. Mario Kart Wii had great courses and tbh had better physics then 7.

Reactions: Leej07
Better physics? Omg just look at all the ultra shortcuts that came because of the physics. The physics are super wack. The mushroom gorge ultra best proves this.

Bury me with my Mario Kart DS cartridge.

In my opinion, Mario Kart Wii was the most memorable. There were so many risky new additions to the game, including but not limited to bikes, wheelies, tricks, inside drift, etc. Some of them don't work, but some of them do.

Mario Kart Wii kind of reminds me of Melee. It's a lot buggier but requires a lot more skill than most of the later titles to truly be good at the game. Since the physics are so weird, you have to adjust to them and learn them. For example, there are many different ways to drift. There's normal drifting, spin-drifting, etc. It takes skill to master all the techniques you need in order to win, which makes it a lot more skill-oriented than for example Mario Kart 8.

The physics are very awkward though. The ultra shortcuts are very broken, which makes for some very unfun online (or after 2014, Wiimfi) play. But the game is broken in all the right ways that make it fun in my opinion. Wallclips are very fun to do, and same with crazy stuff like the Coconut Mall ultra shortcut.

There's also the modding of the game. It's probably the most versatile game for modding. There are like, over 500 different custom tracks that you can play. I enjoy using CTGP-R personally, but any pack works pretty well.

The tracks themselves are also some of the better ones out of the series. Koopa Cape is probably my favorite Mario Kart track in general, and there are also a lot of other memorable tracks included in the game, like Coconut Mall and Wario's Goldmine.

The only problem with the game is that there is absolutely no diversity in terms of character/vehicle combination. When playing online, almost nobody chooses any character combinations other than Funky/Flamerunner and Daisy/Mach Bike. Other than that, it's a pretty solid title.

I would say Mario Kart DS is close but the computers are way too easy.

Reactions: Zok
What was your favorite Mario Kart game? Mine was the one on the Gamecube, i believe it was the first mario kart game i have played!
Mine was the one on the DS it was the first I received and found all sorts of glitches and hacks on it as a kid! The good old days...

I haven't played the newer ones but my favorite thus far would have to be Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. It's really fun, and plus, you can grab a sibling, or a friend to tackle the main campaign! \o/ And it has, by far, my most favorite character and item used in it as well: Baby Mario, and Chain Chomp.

I dunno if it's superior, but I'd like to think so. :artist:

I like 7, even though not having played it, it introduced the kite and upside down driving. And was available in 3d.

Reactions: RedWhaley14
For me it has to be Mario Kart DS. And maybe this is the nostalgia talking but the size ratio of kart to track as well just the way the Karts moved was amazing to me.
And no other Mario Kart game ever gives me anywhere near the enjoyment that I get out of Mario Kart DS. I also loved the second screen aspect of having a map below especially in the star collecting mode as this was super convenient for finding stars.
So while I understand that it's not the BEST Mario Kart game by far, it is still my personal favourite.

My favourite Mario Kart game is probably Mario Kart DS. (the credits, for some reason, made me cry)

I have 2 favorites, Mario kart 8 deluxe because it’s the best game in the series and the other is Mario Kart 64 because it’s nostalgic for me

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is great in relation to its array of races and game modes, especially whilst versing friends or online. Likewise, Mario Kart 7 has a great visual design, making its graphics the best of the Mario Kart franchise. However, none of the above make my number one Mario Kart game overall. Personally, Mario Kart DS tops the list as I could play it for ages without getting bored, even in reference to new and developed consoles. My favorite mode was VS Mode as you could just play 32 races in a row whilst trying to beat 7 CPUs on Hard mode (eventually it got relatively easy to beat hard mode, so I had to play as Bowser to increase the difficulty). Additionally, the version's battle mode, in my opinion, is the best in Mario Kart franchise history. I found it extremely enjoyable playing out an enthralling, lengthy battle that is actually somewhat difficult (on Hard mode). It beats the battle mode on Mario Kart 7 by far as their battles are only 2 minutes each and forcibly must play 4 battles (instead of playing to a chosen amount of wins).

Current favorite mario kart is mario kart 8. I love the mechanics in the game and it's super easy to control. The drifting is very smooth and the items are well balanced so it isn't as harsh on new players. I do have mario kart wii and mario kart 64 but none of them feel right. Tilting is very bad in wii and while I do have a gamecube controller it seems that it always turn too much. And mario kart 64 is very harsh with many items being very sloppy, whenever I turn it's very smooth but the CPU's always catch up super fast.

Every entry I’ve played has a place in my heart, but I’m going to have to go with Double Dash. Controlling two characters was a neat departure from tradition, and the personal power-up items were so fun to use! Kind of like the precursor to ultimates in Smash Bros., except now Mario Kart is the one without personalized boosts.

Reactions: AricAttack
Personally, my favorite Mario Kart is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Even though it's a port, there are a lot of wonderful new features! It's my 2nd favorite game to play with friends (the 1st one being Smash) When the Switch launched, I played Mario Kart 8 Deluxe all the time when I'm on the bus, (the ones with little tables behind the seat, I don't feel comfortable without them) on the plane, or sometimes at work. Although I don't play it as much alone, the improved battle mode and added characters made playing with friends fun! My personal build is Inkling Girl + Splatt Buggy + Sponge Wheels + Standard Glider. My favorite mode HAS to be Renegade Roundup. It's just Cops and Robbers, but Mario Kart. That feeling you get when you free all your teammates from the cages feel SO GOOD. My least favorite, however, is Coin Rush, I just can't seem to get enough coins! I still remember that time when I made all my friend's coins fall out, and this CPU Baby Mario took ALL of it. He just stole em all. The anti gravity sections are also pretty neat too, I feel good when the karts bump each other and they do a little spin boost. It's also great when you do the pose when leaving a ramp or bouncing on a platform. For the Grand Prix, my favorite is 100CC, 50CC is the slowest, 150 is fast, and 200CC is TOO fast, but 100CC is just right. Or maybe I should get gud. The moving also feels great, drifting is smooth and throwing items are quick. Compared to other Mario Karts, the movement in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best. I do wish they'd bring back some karts from DS tho. I was also surprised to find out about the Mercedes-Benz karts, those were neat. I haven't touched online play yet, as I don't have sudden urges to play Mario Kart when I wake up or during work. My 2nd favorite would probably be Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart 7, as I also played those two all the time in long travels like bus train or plane, as well as during work (shhhhhhh). Not as much with friends though, as most of them don't even own a 3DS :(. Movement was also smooth on those two games, I thought R. O. B. was a really cool addition. Was never a fan of the balloon popping in battle mode though. I also have Mario Kart 64, but I haven't played it enough to actually form an opinion about it. My least favorite ones, however, are the arcade ones. I played them at my local mall. It always felt weird to me. To my cousin, no, but for me it just feels off. The PAC-MAN characters were a neat touch though.

Back