Gen 1 What Will Happen to Missingno?

• Thread starter Bobcam7!
  • Start date
Bobcam7!

Bobcam7!

*Consuming itself*
Towns Folk
So, Pokemon hasbeen around for 20 years and for one of the many things that they are doing to celebrate is releasing Pokemon Red and Blue on the 3DS. It probably wouldn't be the first time they smoothed out a couple glitchs before releasing a virtual console game, but what about Missingno? Do you think that they will remove him completely, keep him in glitchs and all, or the best (and most unlikely) they smooth out the glitchs making him a actual "Pokemon" but keeping him in the game.

What do you think will happen?

It's doubtful that they would ever keep him in as an actual Pokemon since he never shows up as part of the Pokedex. Removing him completely is an option they could do but it may alter the game in a way they can't predict. Personally I think they will attempt to get rid of the easiest and most well known methods of getting him, but the game is riddled with so many glitches that we're bound to find some loophole.

I feel like Nintendo and game freak is going to keep missingno (and hopefully all MOST the glitches) Bill said the game is completely going to be the same EXCEPT the link cable thing trading stuff things old stuff. I haven't sold my pokemon yellow game because of the glitches. (My first glitch is the lv 100 Nidoking before Brock) All the Pokemon yellows glitches online isn't available there so I never sold my yellow

Even the link cable battles and trades will be the same, it's just that they will emulate the link cable through Wi-Fi connections and settings on the bottom screen of the VC title.

Im definitely sure that missingno is not going to become an actual Pokemon. What seems most likely to me is they keep the game running normally with the glitches in it including missingno. They could even remove him, but in the nintendo direct, they said that they are going to keep the game as normally as possible.

Im definitely sure that missingno is not going to become an actual Pokemon. What seems most likely to me is they keep the game running normally with the glitches in it including missingno. They could even remove him, but in the nintendo direct, they said that they are going to keep the game as normally as possible.

That being said this is Nintendo/Game Freak we're talking about. "Normally" could mean to run as intended but without glitches for all we know. Although it'd be unlikely that they would change too much, there's nothing stopping them from attempting to remove a glitch or two, or setup something in the background that checks for any rampant code being run.

Still, I'll give them the benefit of doubt and hope that at worst it's just an attempt to remove some glitches, at best they don't change anything.

sadly I think they will disappear forever never to be seen or heard from again aside from the original originals

The odds of Missing no EVER becoming a pokemon are impossible... Unless generation 27 rolls around and they don't know what to put as pokemon #3,421 so they are like "hey, let's make good old missing no and make the 46th type... Glitch!". I, however, think they are going to keep him in the game because I remember the Zelda creator, when talking about Ocarina of time 3d, said he wanted to keep the game as original as possible, glitches and all, so they will most likely do the same for the Pokemon games.

I agree with Blaze, they'll keep the remake the same glitches and all. Maybe get rid of the game breaking part though :/

Reactions: BlazingPhoenix
I agree with Blaze, they'll keep the remake the same glitches and all. Maybe get rid of the game breaking part though :/

This isn't a remake but VC, and the actual remakes didn't keep those glitches in.

This isn't a remake but VC, and the actual remakes didn't keep those glitches in.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3d, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3d, The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening DX, Pokemon Yellow (remake to origanol pokemon games), Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda Classic NES series, The Legend of Zelda Link's Adventure classic NES series, Final Fantasy Advance, Final Fantasy II Advance, Final Fantasy III Advance, Final Fantasy IV Advance, Final Fantasy V Advance, Final Fantasy VI Advance, The Legend of Zelda Link to the past GBA. I'm sorry, I have to agree with @Skyshaymin on this one.

Pokemon Yellow (remake to origanol pokemon games),

Original*, and I'm not saying that a remake can't have glitches of it's own or even have the same glitches from an earlier title. Also, Yellow isn't a remake; it is the exclusive third title to Generation I (Fourth if you're going by Japan's releases), while Firered and Leafgreen are both the proper remakes to Generation I. Those games have like one or two glitches but none of them have any similarity to the hilarious shenannigans you can pull off in RBY. The Virtual Console titles are merely re-releases, not remakes.

Moreover, Zelda OOT3D's example is a case where the developers decided against removing glitches because they are a part of OOT, which basically gave them the blessing of being a feature and even then they got rid of the more game breaking glitches. That's just the Zelda team however, not Game Freak. If they choose to keep those in then I'm all for it, but a development team's actions for keeping glitches in their game doesn't mean a seperate development team will do the same.

This is especially what with Game Freak's stance on Missingno., stating he is dangerous to your game (which it is not,) so much so that Pokemon Yellow actually uses better security than Red/Blue to check Missingno. and trigger a crash in the game if found. In fact, if anything I imagine they'll at least attempt to remove the easier ways of getting those glitches because of the local trading and battling they are packaging with these titles, so it wouldn't do to have rampant glitches about.

However, key word in there is "attempt." I'm sure we will still be able to access them, but it'll have to be via more obscure methods than the popularly known ones.

Last edited:
OK, they NEVER alter virtual console games, so I highly doubt that they will remove missing no or any other glitches for that matter, also the following virtual console games BY GAMEFREAK were never altered: drill dozer, pulseman, yoshi. Does anyone REALLY think that this is going to be a missing no free game, besides one can simply increase the security for WiFi trades with others, however main game he can be used fine. Besides, I highly doubt gamefreak is that different from Zelda developers. Finally, I agree with you saying missing no is not dangerous, aside from your Pokémon league data being all funky.

OK, they NEVER alter virtual console games, so I highly doubt that they will remove missing no or any other glitches for that matter, also the following virtual console games BY GAMEFREAK were never altered: drill dozer, pulseman, yoshi.

This I did not know about, however even so it wouldn't be the first time that a Virtual Console title's been modified in some way shape or form. Early NES titles that used a form of physical copyright protection for example (Like one that requires a bucket of water and a plastic sort of map that came with the game) would actually be implemented digitally into the game, or otherwise a digital booklet given. Link's Awakening DX comes to mind when thinking about a modified 3DS VC title, in where they changed the text of a certain NPC to something else because of potential problems that could arise with Yahoo!, and a few graphical fx changes.

So while Game Freak hasn't done this sort of thing before, it's not out of the question especially given the fact they are dealing with one of their most popular IPs that also happens to have multiplayer. That's just begging for some revision, and it wouldn't even change the core of the game.

And you can believe that the Zelda team and Game Freak team don't think so differently if you wish, but you can't say the same about each team's decisions when it comes to the games they're dealing with. While OOT is considered a masterpiece of it's time and is a single player experience, it makes sense that some of the glitches were kept in to keep it somewhat the same, Pokemon however is meant to be played amongst other people and with that in mind, glitches that can freely be transferred between games is a bit troublesome. I do hope they don't get rid of them but it's unlikely they'll turn a blind eye here so it's not hard to imagine something could be done.

Alright, well you keep your opinion, while me and my opinion will say this and leave:
Missingno will stay

Alright, well you keep your opinion, while me and my opinion will say this and leave:
Missingno will stay

My hope is Missingno will stay. My logic is that Game Freak will try to do something with him. I just hope the latter is wrong.

I didn't even know here was a Pokemon named that. Can someone post a picture of what that Pokemon looks like.

I didn't even know here was a Pokemon named that. Can someone post a picture of what that Pokemon looks like.
th
It is a glitch pokemon

That looks weird. Is it a Pokemon u can catch or no.

That looks weird. Is it a Pokemon u can catch or no.
Yeah , you can, but your game may or may not glitch out like crazy. I think pokemon yellow actually prevents it from being captured.

Back