Gen 1 What Will Happen to Missingno?

• Thread starter Bobcam7!
  • Start date
That looks weird. Is it a Pokemon u can catch or no.

Missingno. is not an official Pokemon per se, but rather a leftover/placeholder from Game Freak's debugging stages of the game. It usually has two Water Gun moves and an unused Bird type. He is catchable but doing so will graphically glitch out icons on the overworld/Pokemon menu (Which is fixable by looking at a normal Pokemon's stats) and corrupts your Hall of Fame data which isn't much of a big deal and doesn't pose a risk to your game.

In Pokemon Yellow he becomes harder to obtain as Game Freak caught wind of the glitch and tried to prevent him from being caught via freezing the game if you encounter Missingno. in the wild. You can still acquire him via trading though. Missingno. is popularly used for an item duplication glitch where you can max out the 6th item in your items menu to 128 upon encountering or catching him. This means more rare items like Rare Candies and Master Balls if you keep a hold on them.

One other thing to note; there is an almost identical glitch Pokemon similar to Missingno. that's called 'M. They almost do exactly the same thing, however 'M is quite dangerous if you try to capture him as he can freeze your game or PC Box if your party is full. It's implied that he can erase your save data but it appears as if that's just rumour. Still, tread lightly around this one.

Finally, this last part is just speculation but apparently the appearance of Missingno. is a garbled messed up sprite of Trainer Red from the title screen. (Keep in mind that this is just Missingo.'s most common appearance, not the only one.)

Missingno_RB.png
Spr_RB_Red_2.png
Hope that helps answer some questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Missingno and Mew be catchable, in the R/B/G/Y of Virtual Console, but maybe it can not be sent to Sun and Moon, after he could not be sent to G / S / C, but if you catch Mew, using the Bug Mew, maybe it can be sent to Sun Pokemon and Pokemon Moon.

They won't make MissingNo a actual pokemon they already didn't plan for it to happen but i don't think they will get rid of him completely im sure they will have him in easter eggs or special moments in the future just as a nostalgia and little bit of joke around fun with the pokemon players that still remember him. i mean we all love the glitch MissingNo don't we XD im sure we will see him around for some funny moments :3 but he will never be a pokemon

MissingNo and Mew are still in. Hackers found out that Red and Blue's ROMs (contained in the VC's RomFS) have the same checksums as the original GameBoy ROMs, they just have a few patches applied (by the VC, not in the game's code itself) to make the game epilepsy-friendly and compatible with multi-player. Only Yellow got altered (I think it's VC patches again, not the game's code that got patched directly) in order to make the Surfing Pikachu mini-game available without having to bring a Pikachu with Surf (well, that would have "leaked" a potential Pokémon Stadium release on the Wii U's VC).

TL;DR: Glitches aren't patched, and the Surfing Pikachu mini-game is accessible without having to bring a Pikachu that knows Surf. Now, go and have some fun.

@D4rkDragon Don't forget that Jynx's sprite has been modified to conform to the modern design. Nintendo might not care so much about the glitches but they won't let us have the luxury of pre-international Gen II Jynx anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: D4rkDragon
I'm really hoping that they'll keep Missing No. because me and my friend really want to see it in person and i'd make her so happy

I'm really hoping that they'll keep Missing No. because me and my friend really want to see it in person and i'd make her so happy

TL;DR: Glitches aren't patched, and the Surfing Pikachu mini-game is accessible without having to bring a Pikachu that knows Surf. Now, go and have some fun.

All is well. The glitches were kept in.

Missing No. is still in the game I saw a video of a guy catching it on the 3ds I'll put a link in this post.

Missingno is comming back!!!! XD. I will catch him and corrupt my game lol. I imagine passing it to pokemon sun and moon that will be awesome. Besides, pokemon red and blue is released without any original change so it will have the original glitches as it has 20 years before.

Missingno is comming back!!!! XD. I will catch him and corrupt my game lol. I imagine passing it to pokemon sun and moon that will be awesome. Besides, pokemon red and blue is released without any original change so it will have the original glitches as it has 20 years before.

Assuming the Poke Bank will actually let you transfer him over. The filter's pretty stingy already with improperly genned Pokemon so it's not out of the question.

They left the Mew glitch in as well so I think the missingno glitch is still what it was. They will probably block it with the Pokébank though, so that Missingno doesn't become transferable to other games. (Who knows what crazy glitches that might give?)

that's pretty cool I wonder if thell have an Easter egg if you do transfer misngno to sun and moon using.I just think when transfering it delets your save and comes up with a message saying missing no is not alowed out side pokemon red blue and yellow games we have reseted your progress on pokemon red blue and yellow have a nice day ;)

that's pretty cool I wonder if thell have an Easter egg if you do transfer misngno to sun and moon using.I just think when transfering it delets your save and comes up with a message saying missing no is not alowed out side pokemon red blue and yellow games we have reseted your progress on pokemon red blue and yellow have a nice day ;)
...That would be terrible :eek: Reset the entire game?!

...That would be terrible :eek: Reset the entire game?!
yep

thats why you dont cheat

Last edited by a moderator:
They left the Mew glitch in as well so I think the missingno glitch is still what it was. They will probably block it with the Pokébank though, so that Missingno doesn't become transferable to other games. (Who knows what crazy glitches that might give?)

How the PokeBank works at least when using a Poke Transporter app is that it takes the old Pokemon and re-interprets the data into something that Gen VI can read. Essentially in a way the resulting Pokemon is a clone while the original is assimilated through the process.

Since Missingno. is garbage data, assuming the PokeBank would even allow Missingno. to transfer or even be read it would show up as some other Pokemon. Primarily the problem was that the data Missingno. was trying to access didn't exist yet as actual Pokemon data in RBY, but apparently some of it has existed since Gen II as in Gold, Silver and Crystal you can't trade Missingno. but he'll be read as a certain Pokemon instead of being entirely glitched. In this case he would most likely show up as an impossible Pokemon, but he'd be no different from a cheated Pokemon in that respect.

Or the system might just have a hissy fit and crash, who knows? But that's what I think would happen if he was readable/transferable.

Last edited:
How the PokeBank works at least when using a Poke Transporter app is that it takes the old Pokemon and re-interprets the data into something that Gen VI can read. Essentially in a way the resulting Pokemon is a clone while the original is assimilated through the process.

Since Missingno. is garbage data, assuming the PokeBank would even allow Missingno. to transfer or even be read it would show up as some other Pokemon. Primarily the problem was that the data Missingno. was trying to access didn't exist yet as actual Pokemon data in RBY, but apparently some of it has existed since Gen II as in Gold, Silver and Crystal you can't trade Missingno. but he'll be read as a certain Pokemon instead of being entirely glitched. In this case he would most likely show up as an impossible Pokemon, but he'd be no different from a cheated Pokemon in that respect.

Or the system might just have a hissy fit and crash, who know? But that's what I think would happen if he was readable/transferable.
Okay, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows this too, so in the end eietehr Nintendo makes some sort of Missigno tranfser patch that allows you to transfer it (HIGHLY unlikely) or they won't let you transfer it all so the system doesn't get a hissy fit. :p

Reactions: 3391 and Pandaxclone2
I hope he's transferable, I doubt he will be though xP

I'd love nothing more then to feed him some pokepuffs and rub up aginst with warm, soft fur.... :hug:

What if... they turn him into the #000 Kanto Pokemon (like Victini) and make him a legend with fan-made lore?

Nope, Missingno won't become a Pokemon. It was a glitch and will still be. Since you can only attempt to catch it in Red/Blue (3ds) and not Yellow (3ds, Game prohibits it), its probably gonna end in the Red/Blue gen. Nintendo didn't edit the glitches to make it more nostalgic but imo they're gonna be very strict regarding to transferring Pokemon to Sun/Moon. We'll see though what happens :D

Last edited:
Nothing's definite until it happens, Robbie, we'll see.

Back