Emulators or no?

• Thread starter ShinyLatios
  • Start date
Emulators are alright for certain games; the games you can't find new anyway.

Buying the game used doesn't get money back to the makers of the games, so at this point it changes nothing to use an emulator...

I have used an emulator to play Mother 3, as I can't get it in the States, as well as Pokemon Sapphire, because I own the cartridge but not a system to play it on. If you own the game catridge, using an emulator is legal, at least the last time I checked. I also play fan made Pokemon games like Light Platnium too, just because they aren't available elsewhere.

i've used an emulator a few times, but only to try some of the games on virtual console before i actually bought them, like with metroid and links awakening

Emulators are fine in my opinion, however, stuff life R4 cards and Acekard are not. Stuff like R4 ca help you in hacking an original game, as you can us cheats and even modify your save on the computer and link it to an original file. eg- you are playing pokemon white 2 on the R4. You modify your sav on the comp., giving it shiny zekrom and reshiram. You can trade it to your original cartridge and then, even transport it to XY and ORAS through pokebank. This is one reason why hacked pokemon are easily made.

However, emulators don't allow you to modify your original game. Though you can still use cheats and stuff, you cannot transfer stuff to original games. That is the reason I like emulators. I mainly use emulators for GBA games which are unobtainable (I don't even have a gameboy in the first place) So that is the only time when emulators are not illegal.

Also, I prefer playing on the actual device cuz it brings more "feel"
The only illegal way I use emulators is to edit a pokemon rom and make my own maps and pokemon. It's fun! Really!

In my opinion emulators are OK if they are used for older systems like N64. However I don't support the Wii emulators because that makes Nintendo lose money. I just don't like playing on emulators as much because it just never feels as good as actually playing on the system. It just always feels like something is missing...

Reactions: 3823
Well emulator are alright as gba game are hard to find . So people cannot afford ds so they can play those fabulous on their pc and can save money . Many people hate those emulator but however I like them.

Usually if it's some obscure game I'll emulate it. If it's on the Virtual Console and I've been curious about it I'll probably get it on there, especially if I liked what I played on an emulator because playing it on a real console just feels better to me.

Emulators are great I mean I had no other ways to play the old school games like Pokemon Firered and crystal and other games like EarthBound and I truly did enjoy emulators I would not be friends with my Best Friend if it wasnt for emulators not only that but I wouldnt know half the stuff I know about Pokemon and Zelda without Emulators so yes use an Emulator I recommend them.

Emulators are alright in moderation, or if you have no access to the game. Like, I don't have access to a lot of nes titles, so I play them for a bit and get to enjoy it. But if I had a choice between an emulator and the regular game, I would pick the regular game 10 out of 10 times. This is also because I am terrible with PC controls, so I can never play to my full potential on emulators.

Im not sure about emulators seeing as how they can sometimes glitch out. But yeah playing a title from gba and nintendo 64 is amazing fun. Also tried out Dragon Quest 4 before i bought it. :)rolleyes: Deborah... *smack* get back to work!)

It isn't actually bad and isn't unlawful because the law states the code that is at least 10 years old can be rewritten for other uses. So it isn't unlawful except for the oes that aren't rewritten before 10 years but those are quickly banned but Coolroms was banned for some reason?!?!? Only emulators not the other games like ps3 stuffs.

Most people would consider emulators perfectly fine to play games that are either incredibly expensive (Earthbound/Mother 2, Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile, etc) or just were never localized (Fatal Frame 4, Mother 3, older Fire Emblem titles, etc), but I'm a little more liberal on the matter as I believe that as long as it's a game that is no longer in production and isn't available digitally and no one is profiting from it in any way whatsoever, it's pretty much fair game.

I think emulators are a good thing. Because nowadays you cant get the old game boys in stores. This means you cant experience he old games. But using an emulator means you can soo you can relive the past and play some of the classic videogames.

The only way I could find old games was either by trade or secondhand which means you're not really supporting the company if you can't find the games/consoles. There's nothing wrong with secondhand of course, I've gotten a few myself!
But there are consoles and games you can no longer find and emulators really help with that and not to mention some of the prices for the used games are just plain ridiculous sometimes. I'm glad there are emulators because they give you the chance to enjoy these games, whether you've played them before or not.

What's your stance on emulators for old games? Do you think it's understandable in some cases or is it flat out bad in all?
I think that it's good because of the fact that you can't really get old systems anymore and that it's nice to see how much effort that people are putting in to make games like these playable if you can't get an old system. I personally like to go between emulators and old systems because of the fact that you get that nostalgic feeling from playing that game again exactly like it was back on the old systems. It's a matter of opinion and in some cases it's a bad idea because the rom for it sometimes crashes or doesn't display correctly, but in some cases it's a good idea because of the fact that you can get to play that game on your pc on a larger screen and that you can change things up a bit more as well

I don't want to miss out on amazing japanese games that never made it to the west and games that are either extremely difficult to find or very expensive, so I think they're fine. But if I can, I prefer to buy the game for real rather than emulating it.

I love emulators but I have to admit you kind of steal money from whichever company made the game you're emulating in the process
Because of that, I only emulate old games that are totally impossible to find nowadays

I would prefer the actual game instead of getting the ''bootleg" version of the game so for example- super mario rpg
is :banghead: on emulator - chuggaaconroy :)

This is a really loaded question for me, since my brothers let me play on a GBA emulator before I even knew what that meant. Even now, I still have several emulators lying around on my PC. To play games like My Year With Holo, Tenchimy, Mother 3 (which I saw is quite loved here) and the PS1 port of Tales of Phantasia. (Darn, that baby's marvelous!)

I wouldn't play newer, more easy to acquire games on them, and I deleted my Earthbound ROM when I bought it on the Wii U, together with several other ROMs, but for games that I'd otherwise miss out on, I say heck yeah. If only because it could be one of those hidden gems that stays in your heart for life.

I think emulators are fine as long as they're used for older console games such as, the 2d mario games and legend of zelda games because they're hard to get even if you have the console. Beyond that it's not fair to other people purchasing the game with cash they worked to get and more importantly the company and game devs that pour their work and effort into. For that reason if the game can't be purchased or borrowed it's O.K. to emulate the game.

Back