English dub or sub?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
well, english is not my original lenguage, but I use to watch tv shows on japanese with english sub and I think it's pretty cool because I love to hear the action in original lenguage and read all in english, it give more exciting for tv shows, games... it's lovely! xD

I prefer dubbed because I am usually fiddling with something/browsing the internet/eating etc while I watch. Because of this every time I watch subbed I lose focus, stop reading and miss a lot of important details.

that's really a hard decision for me. i would normally love dubs, but it sucks when the whole cast is good and then there's that one obnoxious character whose voice you just can't stand. there's also been severa; cases where the dubbers take a break between seasons and then they sound completely off. in Medabots Ikky sounded even younger in the Killabots season then he did at the start of the first episode, in Shakugan No Shana season 2, the voices were the same but there was like no emotion in them, and in Inuyasha Final Act dub they talked just slightly faster than normal and it sounded rushed like they just wanted to get it over with. It's also pretty common that a casual anime will have an "english class" which kinda bugs me when everyone is already speaking perfect english. but then with sub your attention is split between what's being said and what's actually happening. but its also a pain to wait so much longer to wait for a season to get dubbed which is some cases never even happens. >< not to mention i usually exert a lot of extra energy to ignore my surroundings and get hot really fast... i need an oculus to remove that factor D;

Dubs are usually terrible, except for Japan. Like the voices often don't match the mood/don't make sense. So unless you understand Japanese, NEVER try dubbed.

depends if the dub is good or not i prefer a dub but I'm a bit new to anime :cat:

I prefer subs, but I started off with dubs like most people to anime, I started watching subs too when I couldn't find dubs of some anime. Nowadays I never watch anything in dub because I'm so used to subs, it doesn't feel right to listen to English voice acting anymore.

I prefer dubs if they are done right i find subs annoying as they cover the picture and can obscure it making me sometimes pause or go back in the video but i will watch sub if it has no english dub or the dub is bad....I also think more good quality english subs could help to expand the anime market meaning more can be invested and new episodes can be made quicker (at the same quality)

I prefer subtitles. The Japanese voice actors are way better than the english ones and they make me feel better when I watch the anime. The only anime I prefer in Dub would be Hetalia because I love the accents!

It honestly depends on which version you watch it in first. For example, I enjoy Pokemon in dub, but because I watched Pokemon 4Ever subbed I literally cannot watch the film in dub.

Death Note is an example in which I could watch it in both sub and dub because I switched between subb and dub episodes, and thus I can accept both sides of it.

Finally there's the Yu-gi-oh! Theme song which in the dub is mainly consistent for all the seasons that the original show ran for and give off an atmosphere of mystery and wonder, which makes sense because the main theme besides card games is Egypt. The first sub theme? Sounds like J-pop to me, and that doesn't rub well with me.

I prefer watching subs. I tend to find the music in the japanese version better than the dubbed ones (especially the openings, the dubbed versions feel kinda bland in comparison). Plus listening to japanese for some reason feels better to me than english, maybe because its foreign thus sounds cooler?

It depends, like in the rare case I watch Pokemon with my sister dub but mostly sub

I prefer subs over dub. Mostly because when you are watching with Japanese voice and english subtitles, the voices feel and sound a whole lot more fitting to the characters and that it's also a break from listening to english over and over in your evey day life, it's a refreshing way to calm down as well.

I prefer dubs since I don't notice bad dubbing in general but I don't mind watching subs if there's no dub. The thing which a lot of Japanese purists think though is that they seem to think that the Japanese voice is always brilliant, but sadly not always true. Rayet from Aldnoah Zero was just so bad.

Now in all honesty this sometimes depends on the anime itself, some are much better in dub and ridiculously terrible in sub and others vice versa, so here I am making a list of animes which are better in sub and dub, of course these are all opinions, and some of them are good in both sub and dub but Im just showing this list to show what I prefer better, if you disagree with my opinion then tell me so and give your reasons

Sub
-One Piece
-Naruto
-Attack On Titan
-Blue Exorcist
-Naruto: Shippuden

Dub

-Dragon ball/z
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-Zatchbell
-Shaman King
-Deathnote
-Sword Art Online
-Yu-Gi-Oh

Thats my list and opinion, also put Pokemon in there for Dub if it really counts as an anime:rotfl:

I think that dubbed is scary and the voices don't match the character at all. It sounds weird for a japense character to sound like an American or British or something. Also, the American voices are sooooo boring nad are NOT good at acting. They sound bland and like they hate the job, while the japanese version sounds exciting and cheerful! (usually)

I perfer dub over sub just so I don't have to read because i am a slow reader any way I actually find it hard to watch anime in english sub and probally would not watch anime if it was not dubbed.

I mostly watch dub because i feel that sub takes away from the viewing experience and i also like it in my own tongue. I dont like reading words and watching anime at the same time.

I prefer Sub more than Dub. Dub sounds horrible and sounds like they don't care. I like Subtitles because I just love to hear that Japanese voice, it sounds so good! Also when watching Dub, sometimes they talk way to fast for me to understand. I'm probably gonna stay with Subtitles for a long while.

I would say that I would rather watch anime in a English Sub because to be honest I prefer hearing the natural Japanese voice rather than English . But sometimes I can't find the episode with it so I have no choice but to choose English Dub . I prefer any of them however

It all depends on which I can find! I have no preference, except for Soul Eater which I will never watch dubbed again. Blackstar's voice is just too terrible. But for an anime like Zatch Bell, I can only watch the dubbed version. It's easier for me to find, as well as having voice actors I've been used too since childhood. Then for others, I'll switch between them. I've watched Puran High School Host Club in both subbed and dubbed, and enjoy them both.

Back