Should Nintendo change the theme shop that we could use Play coins (3DS) to get themes instead?

• Thread starter Eric Cartman
  • Start date

Should nintendo use Play cioins instead??

• Total voters
If they cannot make some themes accessible for say, 100 Play Coins, the least they could do is give us more free themes to download. A free Sonic Boom and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate theme is not enough. Even the Playstation 3 has more free game-based themes.
Couldn't agree more!

Couldn't agree more!
Your sig reminds me to catch up on C&H. I kinda gave up after they started The Cyanide & Happiness Show.

Yeah, more free themes would be nice. I think that play coins are ok but I do not think nintendo would simply give themes for pc, I think it should be free. As much as it is easy to walk up and down, I have a 3ds xl so that would be terrible. That is why the pc idea is not good. I think they should give more free themes instead

Yeah, the themes are really overpriced.

Here 9 out of every 10 themes cost 1.99€ or more! That's ridiculous! Instead of getting themes, I can get a cheap game (virtual console, something on sale, etc.)! Either with play coins or free! Or at least, they should make it possible to use custom themes with the official unexploited firmware!

I wish the I still had the exploit. A post on the 3DS Theme Swap sub-reddit had a link to where you can download the themes from the shop. They have every one of them from NA, EU, and JP. Sadly, I need to wait for a new exploit where I can access the Hombrew Launcher. Smea isn't being any help.

Well, people worked on these themes, so it makes sense that they aren't free.

I don't mind that they are paid, as no one is forcing me to get them, it's pure luxury.

Why do you people keep saying that? Not everyone has enough money to spend on themes that literally don't do a single thing! I want a couple of themes, but instead of paying the 12€ to get those few I want (just 5 themes), I can just go and buy a game or two (or even more) from the eshop!

I mean, that's just how I feel on the matter, my opinion on it, if you will. Everyone's going to feel differently on this. You're right that not everyone has enough money to spend on themes that don't do anything. I personally don't buy themes because the few that I like don't really seem like the little bit of money they're asking for. The ones I want are only about $1, and I could easily buy them with the money on my eShop account, but at the same time, I don't want them enough to spend $1 on them either. The only theme I've ever bought is the Slowpoke one, and that's because I really like that one and felt like it was worth my money (and I had extra money on my eShop account from a card a former friend gave me as a present a while ago). I did a conversion of 12€ to USD, and that's about $12.89 USD, which is pretty pricey for the 5 themes you want, yes.

No, they don't do anything. No, they're probably not worth what Nintendo's asking for most of them. No, not everyone has the money to buy these things or is lucky enough to receive an eShop card as a gift like I did. (If I hadn't received that eShop card, I wouldn't have the one theme I bought, nor would I have cared enough to go out of my way to buy one myself for the theme.) But no, Play Coins shouldn't really be an option for buying themes at all. Maybe some of them, like I said in my earlier post, but definitely not all of them. I think Play Coins should get more usage, since they can only really be used in some games, but I don't think this is the right use for it, nor am I really sure what the right use for them would be.

I don't think there's really a reasonable conversion for real money to Play Coins either since as far as I'm aware (aka based on the little research I've done while typing this tl;dr post), one can only have 300 Play Coins in their bank at any given time anyways. Nintendo would have to come up with a reasonable conversion of real money to Play Coins in order for them to continue gaining profit off of the people who want to pay to buy themes or get themes the "free" way by earning Play Coins to purchase them instead. (Free is in quotes because they wouldn't really be free since one would have to put time and effort into actually getting the Play Coins.)

I agree that themes are overpriced (the only reason I bought some is that I had spare money from the gift card that I used to buy Smash DLC stuff -.-) but I also agree that Play Coins shouldn't be used as replacement, for all the arguments mentionned by other people above.

They should give a way to get free/cheaper themes when you buy something else. For example, buying MH4U on the eShop grants you a free MH4U theme, of at least a bargain on the MH4U theme of your choice. That would still be unfair for those who buy cartridges (like me) but it would be something already.

Or make a ClubNintendo-like thing that allows you to register games (cartridges or eShop) to get fidelity points that you can spend on themes.

i think it is a good idea to pay w/ play coins because not everyone knows all that tech stuff and some people are broke i say we start a protest to get nintendo to have us use play coins to get themes because who doesn't like customizing their home menu i don't think i now one person who doesn't it's fun and u cn express ur self so we should be able to use play coins not everyone is rich ya know

They won't do it because they want to make money out of this. If they do it, then the assortiment would be small. What true is that there are no decent uses for these PC or they are too 'expensive' (like in ssb3ds you can get trophies with pc which had no use to do for the price)

This is actually a great idea. The play coins (on the 3DS) are pretty useless otherwise. This would be a pretty decent use for PC.

This is actually a great idea. The play coins (on the 3DS) are pretty useless otherwise. This would be a pretty decent use for PC.
Actually, reading @Megalegacy's comment, I take back what I said. Like I did say before there should just be more free themes. Or at the very least, simple themes like stripes or polka dots should be at least cost Play Coins. It's nothing special and I doubt Nintendo will lose anything from it.

Actually, reading @Megalegacy's comment, I take back what I said. Like I did say before there should just be more free themes. Or at the very least, simple themes like stripes or polka dots should be at least cost Play Coins. It's nothing special and I doubt Nintendo will lose anything from it.
But Nintendo wants to milk as much cash as possible from everything.

But Nintendo wants to milk as much cash as possible from everything.
I will agree that the aim of any gaming company is to make money. However, I will not agree that they will try and milk their fans as much as possible. These simple themes are what? $0.99? If they don't appeal to you, you can simply not buy them. You have the will not to. And as stated by Mikaya, they don't really hurt your eShop wallet. There are much better themes that are worth the money.

I will agree that the aim of any gaming company is to make money. However, I will not agree that they will try and milk their fans as much as possible. These simple themes are what? $0.99? If they don't appeal to you, you can simply not buy them. You have the will not to. And as stated by Mikaya, they don't really hurt your eShop wallet. There are much better themes that are worth the money.
No theme should be paid. I mean I would gladly pay $0.99 for an app or a small game but just a theme? That's really stupid. This is why Nintendo should allow theme purchases with Play Coins because I don't want to spend really money on themes.

No theme should be paid. I mean I would gladly pay $0.99 for an app or a small game but just a theme? That's really stupid. This is why Nintendo should allow theme purchases with Play Coins because I don't want to spend really money on themes.
Well then if you hate Nintendo for making people pay for themes then I guess you hate Sony as well. These people work hard to makes these themes for everyone. They just can't hand them over. However, I'll give props to Sony for having more free themes. And besides, it's a measly 2 dollars for most of them. That Mega Mewtwo and BREAK Evolution honestly looks like it should cost more. But no, it's just 2 bucks.

Well then if you hate Nintendo for making people pay for themes then I guess you hate Sony as well. These people work hard to makes these themes for everyone. They just can't hand them over. However, I'll give props to Sony for having more free themes. And besides, it's a measly 2 dollars for most of them. That Mega Mewtwo and BREAK Evolution honestly looks like it should cost more. But no, it's just 2 bucks.
Again, themes should be free. However, at least, there should be a decent number of themes for free. Sony gives many amazing themes for free, that's what a friend has told me. Also, if they can't make these themes available for free then, at least, give us the option to upload custom themes ourselves. I always upload custom backgrounds on my Xbox One, that's better than free themes because you can make anything you want and upload it.

Reactions: ESP
Again, themes should be free. However, at least, there should be a decent number of themes for free. Sony gives many amazing themes for free, that's what a friend has told me. Also, if they can't make these themes available for free then, at least, give us the option to upload custom themes ourselves. I always upload custom backgrounds on my Xbox One, that's better than free themes because you can make anything you want and upload it.
Yeah. I use a lot of custom and free themes myself on PS3 (my favorite being the Sonic Adventure one. It sucks that I need an exploit which may or may not be against the ToS rule that I heard about in the updates. And even then, updating the hardware or the game can cause you to lose the feature and there's not many ways to access the Homebrew Menu that are simple.

i think it is a good idea to pay w/ play coins because not everyone knows all that tech stuff and some people are broke i say we start a protest to get nintendo to have us use play coins to get themes because who doesn't like customizing their home menu i don't think i now one person who doesn't it's fun and u cn express ur self so we should be able to use play coins not everyone is rich ya know
How is it technical?

It's literally SO easy to get infinite play coins. All you gotta do is install a few apps with no risk... Ok, so you dont want to install other stuff. Well, there is something called shaking your 3DS. Nintendo should just put more free themes.

Back