Should Nintendo change the theme shop that we could use Play coins (3DS) to get themes instead?

• Thread starter Eric Cartman
  • Start date

Should nintendo use Play cioins instead??

• Total voters
there's not many ways to access the Homebrew Menu that are simple.
Lol, the only hard one is Smashhax.

Reactions: Hayleia
Lol, the only hard one is Smashhax.
Yeah. I heard some stuff about it affecting others too or something like that.

I've never really thought that 2 dollars for a cute homescreen theme was that big of a deal... I have 2 (both Project Mirai DX themes) but having another use for playcoins would be nice. So far I can only use them for puzzle pieces in plaza, or sometimes poison/dark rooms in Find Mii. If there was something where I could either use money or playcoins for a theme, I would probably have a really nice goal to work towards every once and a while as new Miku themes come out! I reliably get playcoins from walking because I go to college anyway, so it would just be ten days of normal stuff.

I've always thought play coin purchases weren't integrated enough into the 3DS system. If Nintendo were to do that (even for some themes), I'd expect them to be priced at 150-300 play coins depending on whether the theme has animation in it or not.

I'd like if you could use play coins but Nintendo is selling them so I do doubt you'll be able to do that sp

I really wish you could use your competed puzzles as themes though....

Well yeah, it'd be fine and dandy if you could get them without paying money. But it ain't like that.

Once My Nintendo launches I'd be shocked if they don't have something in place so that you can earn themes, but I doubt Play Coins will ever be used to buy them.

Even if they implemented something like that, they'd have to change the whole "only 10 coins per day" thing they have going on. I could probably only see themes that are already free being put under a play coin price which wouldn't make that much sense in terms of the whole shop idea. If they shoved it in with the new Nintendo loyalty system coming out, with a change to how many coins you actually get per day, then I could maybe see it as a somewhat viable idea.

How is it technical?

It's literally SO easy to get infinite play coins. All you gotta do is install a few apps with no risk... Ok, so you dont want to install other stuff. Well, there is something called shaking your 3DS. Nintendo should just put more free themes.
great point

I really think it is totallly awsome idea but then i think nintedo is going set the rate of coins very high for each theme.

Which is going kinda hard to get those many amount of coins for us but still i really love the idea but the other problem is that we can only earn 10 coins a day which is going to make even more to get that much of coins and it may lot of time.

I take my 3ds wherever I can that will be helpful for play coins, so thinking about this... Good idea! And I think it could be $1=50-100 PC

Coming from someone who currently has no 3DS play coins, and have no interest in earning them, I'd prefer to buy themes the easy way, it's not like the price of them will put a dent in your pocket. :rotfl:
Then the easy way is to not spend money. With homebrew installed on your 3DS< you can EASILY install custom themes, with custom music and animations, and even cursor, and app start sounds. I foind that to be one of the biggest aspects of homebrew.

I think that's an amazing idea and there are few reasons for that;
First of all, I just recently bought my Nintendo New 3ds but I don't have any more money to buy a game so I don't really have any use for those Play Coins (yet)
Second, these few days I really got lazy, I barely have the energy for anything (but that's another matter) so it would be perfect for me to give me motivation to go out and take a walk outside with my dog and my 3ds in my pocket
Third, as stated previously, it is MUCH better to pay for themes with play coins by doing some excersise than to pay for them with real money. After all, all they do is look better than default themes, some even animate but that's it, just to look better than default theme :p

I would like to use play coins instead, I had used $10 to get some themes and ten dollars only really gets three themes (though I would've liked to have gotten a game but I was sick of my Monster Hunter theme).

But Play Coins would be better for kids who are unable to get eShop cards.

I wonder if Nintendo could make the theme shop use Playcoins (3DS) instead of using money because some theme prices are just expensive like really why is a theme $1.00-$1.99 even if it's just black and white stripes and the only actual fre theme from the eshop is Sonic Boom which very disappointing for U.S. 3DS owners
I highly agree with this. I see no point of using play coins outside of smash for trophies (that don't really matter and you can use the in game money) and street pass (which I don't use anymore either way). I feel as if they should also increase the cap of play coins

I think making a use of play coins through themes would be really nice. I mean, I love all my badges, but don't really want to pay for a theme to go with them XD So my poor little animal crossing badges have a black background. Its kind of sad ;^_^ I always have a bunch of play coins becasue I walk around campus a lot, so this would be really good for me. But, I doubt nintendo will ever do this because this is just another way to get money from their costumers and they surely won't want to loose that.

But, I doubt nintendo will ever do this because this is just another way to get money from their costumers and they surely won't want to loose that.
Indeed, that would make them lose a way to earn money.

But on the other hand, they have so many unexploited ways to make money that losing this one doesn't even seem a loss, compared to what they lose elsewhere. For example, why do they not do more GBA VC titles ? They could just convert the whole singleplayer GBA library to GBA VC and sell these games for 1€ at absolutely no cost... and they don't.
And the argument "it's not necesarily easy to convert GBA to a 3DS-readable format" is wrong, hackers found ways to create GBA VC titles from any GBA rom (except that obviously, it only runs with signatures patched) so Nintendo could do it too.

So yeah, I'm not saying they should convert all GBA games, I'm just saying that if money is their goal, they should sell themes and GBA games. If they don't sell GBA games, then money isn't their goal and then they could give themes away (not all completely free but according to things mentionned in that thread for example).

Reactions: BlazingPhoenix
I also thought the same because using 3ds play coins to get themes was probably the first thing that I wanted when I first heard of the entire theme aspect. I guess it's just another way for Nintendo to get some revenue. I still have my ALBW theme and I probably won't spend money to get another :p ( I really didn't like the Sonic Boom one xP )
Sonic boom, crappy game crappy theme, but I agree with you 100%, themes are just a quick gimmick to scam kids into paying outrageous prices for a background on a 3ds (if it was 25 cents or 5 for a dollar we would not be having this conversation) that you will barely notice because you are stat grinding for something in a game of whatnot. I'm on my homepage for 1/100 of the time I play on my 3ds. Nintendo wants money, not that I blame them everyone wants money, but yeah they should use playcoins

Indeed, that would make them lose a way to earn money.

But on the other hand, they have so many unexploited ways to make money that losing this one doesn't even seem a loss, compared to what they lose elsewhere. For example, why do they not do more GBA VC titles ? They could just convert the whole singleplayer GBA library to GBA VC and sell these games for 1€ at absolutely no cost... and they don't.
And the argument "it's not necesarily easy to convert GBA to a 3DS-readable format" is wrong, hackers found ways to create GBA VC titles from any GBA rom (except that obviously, it only runs with signatures patched) so Nintendo could do it too.

So yeah, I'm not saying they should convert all GBA games, I'm just saying that if money is their goal, they should sell themes and GBA games. If they don't sell GBA games, then money isn't their goal and then they could give themes away (not all completely free but according to things mentionned in that thread for example).
They should edit them to to allow those 2 player games to have local player (such as pokemon)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno. I could go both ways with this... If you think about it, Nintendo probably racks up a bunch of doh from just people buying themes alone. But then again, they'd be rewarding you for either shaking your 3DS or making an effort not to get heart disease. With the play coins, there will always be those people out there who will shake their 3DS for play coins. (I'm looking at you, ToastPainter_3) I just use the Homebrew custom themes and make a replica of a theme that I want. Just put Homebrew on.

They should edit them to to allow those 2 player games to have local player (such as pokemon)
Yeah, that would be great too, but that would require work. Singleplayer games are really free money that Nintendo doesn't try to get. Multiplayer games are more money, and more fun for us but not free for them :p

Reactions: BlazingPhoenix
That's absolutely not going to happen. First of all, people could 'cheat' to get playcoins, just reset the date a couple times. Secondly, and probably more importantly, Nintendo is making money from the themes now. If they switched to a playcoin based system for the themeshop they wouldn't just lose profit, they'd actually lose money. They would still have to pay the designers for the themes and servers for the shop. And quite frankly, it removes the special feeling of a new theme a bit too.

Back