(Outdated) Battle for Champion Tournament Rules

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
I
I'm thinking of participants having two teams registered and switching between them. Thoughts?

I'm open to ideas~
I really I don't agree with this idea

@Marc many of us has spend a lot time to find legendaries with specific IV'S and we have put lot if effort and time finding them so if you will ban legendary in tournament it will be waste time and effort

Besides many of us has legendaries in team and moreover it is not necessary legendary is hacked.

So please for God' sake allow us.

HP fire Latios was an example ;-; (but I'm talking about perfect 5 IV legendaries with the right nature in general).

You can work extremely hard for your 3-4 IV legendary (maybe even 5 IV because it is possible) when Bad Boy Tom hacks a 5-6 IV one in. It's unfair to the people who have worked hard resetting for the right IVs and nature when someone who probably doesn't know much about Pokemon IVs shows off their perfect IV collection (that's an example of Tom likely getting caught). In some situations, this guy named Tom would know a thing or two and will not get caught.

I've given that some good thought because there is no real way around it instead of striking legends off the list. I know some people have reset hundreds of times for their legends and I want people to use Pokemon they've worked so hard for in battle, but what doesn't sit right with me is when someone cheats/hacks to win especially since I'm forking out the dough for the prize ><

This isn't some tournament aimed at newbies to prevent the usage of legends. It's a tournament to determine a Pokemon champion but hacking has basically screwed up the game for us legit players (some shops have been shut down as proof of this).

If Mourning and you are still set on using legends knowing the risk, I'll update the first post >.<)/
I understand where you're coming from, but I'm still agreeing to the use of legendaries as long as they're within the OU tier.
But I think this should be more of a public opinion thing? If most participants are okay with the risks that it comes with, then I see no problem with it. However, if most pedians say that they don't want the use of legends permitted...

In hindsight, some of the people voting for this will be the same potential cheaters, so idk fam. :/

I've been way too distant from Pokemon, but I've been waiting for a tournament like this since I joined the site. As for the no legendary rule, I can agree with it. I feel like for a tournament of this kind sounds like a fair rule. It's honestly the best way to ensure that nobody will attempt to hack. Legendaries tend to be the biggest problem when it comes to hacking.

Note: Hopefully I am not too late to the conversation. .-.

I've been way too distant from Pokemon, but I've been waiting for a tournament like this since I joined the site. As for the no legendary rule, I can agree with it. I feel like for a tournament of this kind sounds like a fair rule. It's honestly the best way to ensure that nobody will attempt to hack. Legendaries tend to be the biggest problem when it comes to hacking.

Note: Hopefully I am not too late to the conversation. .-.
Dued you yourself use legendary in your teams ._.

Dued you yourself use legendary in your teams ._.
So? Yes, I am big user of legendary Pokémon. I've worked my butt off to breed/sr; however, I personally rather not trust anyone with having the chance to ruin the experience for others and me. I can agree with the fact that legendary Pokemon are a huge part of the meta and without them changes everything, but sadly it's a risk I rather not take. Without legendary pokemon I feel like things can be interesting. It also helps the people that doesn't have the time or the knowledge to get a perfect iv legendary. It definitely will make things even for everyone.

Reactions: Vii
If you are afraid that legendary pokemon will hacked whatif normal pokemon(Pokémon can be breeded) is hacked and there is no way to know whether pokemon is hacked or not.

Look HACKERS ARE HACKER!
Their thing is to ruin the game .
They are never going stop ruining game.

Reactions: Mr. Kream
If you are afraid that legendary pokemon will hacked whatif normal pokemon(Pokémon can be breeded) is hacked and there is no way to know whether pokemon is hacked or not.

Look HACKERS ARE HACKER!
Their thing is to ruin the game .
They are never going stop ruining game.

I don't want this to turn into an argument but I will say this as my last response to the whole hacking issue.

You are right you can hack regular pokemon. However, it won't put you in a disadvantage as big as hacking a legendary. Can't breed? We have breedders on this site. Now, you can't ask a breeder to give you a perfect iv latios with hp fire, can you? I feel like not many of you understand the big difference between having a perfect iv latios vs an almost perfect latios. The difference is there even if you don't feel it and can change the results of a game drastically.

I don't want this to turn into an argument but I will say this as my last response to the whole hacking issue.

You are right you can hack regular pokemon. However, it won't put you in a disadvantage as big as hacking a legendary. Can't breed? We have breedders on this site. Now, you can't ask a breeder to give you a perfect iv latios with hp fire, can you? I feel like not many of you understand the big difference between having a perfect iv latios vs an almost perfect latios. The difference is there even if you don't feel it and can change the results of a game drastically.
What about effort and time we put into finding legendary with decent ivs. don't you think it is unfair for those who have work hard to catch legendary for there teams ?

Yourself must have spend lot time to catch these Pokémon and make team ,won't you feel bad if you are not allowed to use them ?

Due to few you can't ruin game.

What about effort and time we put into finding legendary with decent ivs. don't you think it is unfair for those who have work hard to catch legendary for there teams ?

Yourself must have spend lot time to catch these Pokémon and make team ,won't you feel bad if you are not allowed to use them ?

Due to few you can't ruin game.
Well.. of course it sucks. However, as I said before you can't compete against an almost perfect latios vs a godly 6iv latios. You just can't. Whether it's 1-2 ivs of difference, it can change a lot things from making that godly latios outspeed your almost perfect latios or make slightly more damage or take less damage. How many times have you not see a Pokemon survive with 1-2hp? Every single extra iv matters. Numbers don't forgive. Especially in a game where everything is so calculated.

Alright, let's put it to a vote cause I've also received a PM from someone who wants to keep the rules as is. For your vote to count, you MUST leave a reason explaining why you voted for the option.

Rules for voting :
  • You must have at least one gym badge at Pedia.
  • Like I mentioned before, you must leave a reason for your choice.
  • You can update your vote at any time.

For having legends: Danny, FirstSerpy
Against having legends: PK

@Evil.Wayne14breon would you mind sharing your five cents on the matter now? ><

Reactions: Danny
When this is going to end?

When this is going to end?
The poll? Likely on the 20th when sign-ups begin.

Okay

So, about legendaries:

First, I want to point out that saying stuff like "You use legendaries, so you should be voting for unbanning them" is quite a dumb statement, one thing doesn't have to do with the other

We all agree that the OU-below legendaries are not broken, right? Becuase someone always, and I mean ALWAYS brings that up in this type on tournaments (on other forums, of course)

I find that the main problem with baning legendaries is not the fact that people that got them in a legit way, now the can't use them. Of course is kinda annoying, but I see where this is coming (I'm going to talk about hacking as a whole later)

The main issue of baning legendaries, is that cripples teambuilding significantly, there are many teams that need a certain Pokémon to work in a team, and that Pokémon happens to be a legendary. HO teams ussualy need an Azelf or a Manaphy, Balance ussualy needs Latios and Keldeo, Bulky offense ussualy needs Landorus-T and Jirachi, etc.

And most of the times, there is no viable replacement to them (Try to make a Birdspam team, but with a stealth rocker that is not Azelf... it won't work)

Not having legendaries in the tournament can also unbalance the meta quite a bit. For example, taking away Pokémon like Landorus-T, Mew, and Celebi means that Pokémon like Excadrill have way less checks and counters, thus, becoming much better in the metagame.

And finally, the hacking issue...

As many of people that know me know, I love grinding... a lot. I'm the type of person that, in FE Awakening, leveled up Robin until his max level, before I even finished the chapter 10, and I liked that. I'm the type of person that leveled all the 4 characters, and all jobs in all characters to max level before finishing the chapter 4 in Bravely Default, and I liked that. And I'm the type of person that easily spends 2 whole weeks just to get that juicy 5IVs Latios, and I liked that. I enjoyed that week of hunting, and I was so happy when I finally got it.
(and also, the only way to buy a cheating device in my country is by importing it from USA, and all of that costs around $120, AND I'M NOT PAYING 120 DOLLARS JUST TO CHEAT ON POKÉMON, I'M NOT CRAZY)

And even that, if someone wanted to play with me, and he tells me that he hacked all of his Pokémon, I wouldn't give half a f about that.

I really don't care if someone created a 6IVs perfect legendary team full shiny, all of them catched in safari balls.... because none of that matters once the battle starts.

If we battle, and he beats me, is not because he hacked his Pokémon, is because he played better than me. If I win, is not because I got all of my Pokémon legitimately, is because I outplayed him, and got the victory. Because hacking is only a way of saving time before both players start the battle, but it has no effect during or after the battle.

The only type of hacking that I DO mind, is the type of hacking that gives you impossible Pokémon like:

- Unreleased stuff (HA Suicune, AZ Floette)
- Impossible combinations (Unaware Clef with Softboiled)
- Pokémon with ilegal moves/abilities
- Just crazy stuff (Like Mega Pokémon without a mega stone)

In the end, baning legendaries only gives you disadvantages in the metagame, and the only plus is knowing that the opponent is not using hacked Pokémon (which doesn't make A LOT of sense, since someone that hacks legendaries, probably hacks everything else too)

TL;DR I'm voting For having legends in this tournament

Also, I want to talk a little about the item clause, showdown as a way of battle, and pre gen 6 Pokémon being allowed, but I'm hungry and I want to lunch. so bye

Reactions: Mr. Kream and Danny
Well, I said to begin with that I don't really care about the use of legends, but FirstSerpent and Danny are right, I don't see this as valid grounds to ban all legends from play in this tourney.

IVs make a very small difference in stats, seven percent, so what it will ultimately come down to is the skill of the players. A good player will read into the moves of their foe; if Latios comes in on Ferro, it probably has HP Fire, if it comes in on Ttar, it probably has Surf, it might have both, but it can still be worn out; and any player can be caught being hasty, and these things can obviously be worked around. For that matter banning legends on these grounds, actually seems insulting to anyone in this tourney. Fact is, the players in this tourney should be out playing each other, and there should be no noobs here. If we can't call these things, we shouldn't be winning, and if everyone here is capable of high level play, legends of any kind should not be any issue. This said, when the players here see a legend like Jirachi in team preview, they should already have a plan for it, and that's just the nature of this game.

Also, sorry, I've scarcely used Pedia these past two days and I just want this to be 100% clear, so the BP clause we're running is the exact same BP clause in effect in OU's current rules, right? Also, if you're worried about Gothitelle, (which is scarcely seen in Singles OU today) do like the current OU rule set and ban Shadow Tag.

In case anyone hasn't seen it in a while, I'm posting the current OU rules, because after reading all of this, I feel like it's relevant.

Follow the following Smogon rules-
  • Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any Pokémon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.

• A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Pain Split on its moveset.

• A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Fling on its moveset.
  • Baton Pass Clause: Only one Pokémon per team may know the move Baton Pass.

• Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are not permitted in play.

• Moody Clause: Pokémon with the ability Moody are not permitted.

• OHKO Clause: A Pokémon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.

• Sleep Clause: Only 1 Pokémon may be put to sleep on the opposing team at a time, if not induced by a move such as Rest.

• Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.

• Banned Items, etc:
  • Gengarite

• Kangaskhanite

• Lucarionite

• Mawilite

• Salamencite

• Soul Dew

• Shadow Tag

• Swagger

• Banned Pokemon (Ubers)
  • Aegislash

• Arceus

• Blaziken

• Darkrai

• Deoxys

• Deoxys-A

• Deoxys-D

• Deoxys-S

• Dialga

• Genesect

• Giratina

• Giratina-O

• Greninja

• Groudon

• Ho-Oh

• Hoopa-Unbound

• Kyogre

• Kyurem-W

• Landorus-I

• Lugia

• Mewtwo

• Palkia

• Rayquaza

• Reshiram

• Shaymin-S

• Xerneas

• Yveltal

• Zekrom

I don't like grey areas, so I have a lot of issue with that Item Clause; if we're running it, let's be strict about it, but if not, let's drop it. Leaving Leftovers as an exception seems counter-productive to running any form of an Item Clause at all, so let's change that while we're discussing things.

@Marc , you know my answer.

Just small input:
I'm also for having legends, I actually have spent the past few months soft resetting for good/decent IVs and natures on the monthly event legend releases, and I put a good amount of time training those Pokemon to be useful in battle. Banning them only because of others hacking is quite unfair, in my humble opinion.

Also this place has been pretty solid with taking down and discouraging hacked mons in battle, so the legend banning thingy seems pretty useless when we've got this going for us ^-^

Reactions: Danny
I talked a few more things here

I think @Marc and the gym leaders might be interested on this

Back