English dub or sub?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
I honestly prefer dub. I want to listen to the words being spoken, and not just read them off the screen. It adds a whole new world of understanding for me.

Reactions: Moon Rain
i dont care as long as the voice fits the body. goku having a chick voice is the main reason i dont watch dbz sub

I love to watch them in dub in order but i like watching them in sub when the actual anime isn't dubbed yet
because i like to hear japanese or chinese language , i wanna learn them

I prefer the original subbed versions. They're typically always better than the dubs, excluding Funimation. But even then, the original voice actors are still better too.

I usually go with subs so I don't miss out on any cultural references and such. However, if the plot is pretty confusing or I'm distracted with something, I'll go with dub just to make it easier on myself (recent example of this was Baccano!, though the dub was actually reallyreally good for that).

If the dub is good (i.e., Death Note), then I'll take the dub. But if the dub cuts out too much important stuff (Sailor Moon), I'll stick with subs.

I prefer sub just because im used of it and that I usually start with animes in sub the only animes that I watch dub is Dragonball Z and fma and fmab. I usually watch animes that are fairly new so they most likely don't have a dub yet

Reactions: Knight Rain
Sub every single time. The only time I watch in dub is if I absolutely can't find it subbed anywhere. The Japanese voice acting tops the okayish English voice acting and sometimes dubbed doesn't show the much better Japanese opening, only some tuned down English opening

I always want sub. Take SAO. I watch that with English subs.

I prefer dubs just because I usually like doing something else while I watch anime, and I wouldn't be able to read subtitles if I'm doing something else.

I did watch Pokémon Origins with subtitles, though.

Tf I lied I never even watched Origins

I've opened up to subs recently (had to watch a few series that aren't dubbed) though I think I still prefer dub.

i perfer english sub because when you watch your anime in english i find it hard that they don't get the emotions of the character right. but everyone is different this is just my thought.

I like watching both because I hearing the differences in the voices and I like reading the subs to see what is changed on the English dub. But that gets confusing when I'm talking about the show with someone...like with Hetalia for example the show isn't as funny in Japanese as it is in English. It's much more serious in Japanese and English it's full of jokes :p

I definitely prefer subs. Something always feels off to me whenever I watch dubs, its like they don't convey the same degree of emotion that the original JP dub has. (Pokemon being an exception probably because I'm already used to it since childhood)

Probably just me though.

It depends. I mostly find high pitched voices, annoying to my ear so I'll watch a eng dub. But I don't like how some of the English dubs in anime sound really... should i say "americanish" . As long as the characters voice suits her/his face I'd be fine :p

It depends. I mostly find high pitched voices, annoying to my ear so I'll watch a eng dub. But I don't like how some of the English dubs in anime sound really... should i say "americanish" . As long as the characters voice suits her/his face I'd be fine :p
The unsyncedness and the expressionless dialogue are a real problem with dubs too.

So subs rule \m/ :giggle:

The unsyncedness and the expressionless dialogue are a real problem with dubs too.

So subs rule \m/ :giggle:

It's a matter of opinion spinny. :sneaky: But I never seem to notice that. I just don't pay attention to little details as much.

I'll watch and appreciate a good dub anytime but most dubs tend to mediocre these days due to either a poor script translation/ADR direction (Talking about you Sentai Filmworks) or the fact that some companies like Funimation seem to enjoy using the same 6 voice actors most of the time...also I have this issue where I'll mishear a word/term being used ("What did that character just say?") so that's another reason why I prefer subs, also it doesn't hurt to have an accurate account of what the characters are saying in case I'm feeling pretentious and want to over analyze everything :p.

For me it would be English Sub... definitely this is a big problem in my house because my sister does the English dub, which I find annoying. I like the English Sub better because that is the way the anime was supposed to be (in most cases). In the English dub, it just sounds... wrong, and annoying at times. When the voices are too high or too low, and doesn't even sound like the character if it was real. :/ I also like how in the English sub you can learn a bit of a new language :p

Never dub for me! Sub only. I love listening to the soundtracks. Japanese Seiyuu (voice actors) are very talented and are carefully chosen to fit each character, so I'd like to hear the real thing.
Sub can be annoying sometimes since I can lose focus on the graphic. Hope I can understand Japanese soon xD

Ps. When my father watched Harry Potter in Thai dub, I'm super annoyed lol

Reactions: 18
I prefer dub since I want to hear the voice of what the character in the story sound like but sometimes not all the episodes are dub so I have to watch in sub mmostly.So I guess I can go with both if I wish to anytime.

Back