Moon/Sun Pokemon Sun and Moon Announced (Discussion Thread)

• Thread starter TheYESDragon
  • Start date
Really hoping Sun and Moon will be epic dedications to the 20th anniversary of the series. A reference back to the old Gen 1 or 2 such as a trip back to Kanto or having the final boss battle of Red atop Mount Silver(!) would be amazing.

I also seriously hope that the single player of the games will be more challenging, as XY had a very mediocre single player campaign with next to no challenge at all thanks to the EXP Share >.>. Maybe the EXP Share should be only on one Pokemon for the duration of the single player campagin, but afterwards it could be upgraded in the post-game to an EXP-All, to help with EV training. Trainer customization should hopefully also make a return, maybe with more new features!

I'm interested to see how they'll improve the graphical style of the games, if they could improve the 3D models further - Gen 6 was a huge and risky leap in that aspect and I wonder if the leap in this generation will be just as large or less of a risky venture. On the whole I'm very excited for Sun and Moon and can't wait to hear more information about it!

Reactions: Mikaya, Marc and Jyoster134
Im really nervous about them having burst evolve in this game... If done wrong it just might cripple pokemon (at least for that gen)

I hope they stop with their "One new feature per region" thing. I want them to bring back the customization of your character from XY, and I'd like to have the bases from ORAS too.

It was kind of a disappointment when they removed the clothes in ORAs, I loved to collect them ;___;

If they decide to stick with one new feature (not related to pokémons directly like clothes or base) what do you guys think it will be?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikaya and Starry Windy
So, 2 Pokémon names were registered in a Japanese trademark site. They're Solgaleo and Lunaala. It seems to me (and most people) that these might be the Japanese names for the games' mascots. A friend of mine and I discussed for a little bit last night and came from the conclusion that Solgaleo might come from Sol (Spanish for sun) and Galileo (an astronomer, who coincidentally had studied the sun). We weren't able to find any clues for Lunaala though, besides the obvious Luna.

Reactions: Mikaya
So, 2 Pokémon names were registered in a Japanese trademark site. They're Solgaleo and Lunaala. It seems to me (and most people) that these might be the Japanese names for the games' mascots. A friend of mine and I discussed for a little bit last night and came from the conclusion that Solgaleo might come from Sol (Spanish for sun) and Galileo (an astronomer, who coincidentally had studied the sun). We weren't able to find any clues for Lunaala though, besides the obvious Luna.
Very good my friend, were one step closer to solving this case. As for my speculation, I say I got a pretty good idea about the other name( credit to who came up with this theory:bookworm:). Like you pointed out before, the word "Luna" is the Spanish word for Moon. As for "ala", same language, which mean wing. So in conclusion, I think the Legendary pokemon may be a bird or a creature with wings.:)

That's all for now, and to that, have a good day.:giggle:

When I first saw the names, I was thinking of Sol as Sun and Leo as Lion? So maybe the box art legendary for Pokemon Sun could be some kind of Lion? If that's the case, another fire lion ? :p

As @Jyoster134 said Luna is Moon in Spanish. I found so and so info from Bulbapedia's Forums;

LUNAALA --> LUNA + ALA

Luna (Spanish) = Moon

Ala

In Greek seems to mean, "defending man".
In Spanish means "wing"
In Latin means "wing"

Maybe some kind of winged something or other? Could be a Fairy type. Please don't be Fairy/Flying. But since it has wing it's name, it most likely will be part flying type. xP

When I first saw the names, I was thinking of Sol as Sun and Leo as Lion? So maybe the box art legendary for Pokemon Sun could be some kind of Lion? If that's the case, another fire lion ? :p

Although it looks like a likely possibility, I wouldn't want another Fire Lion. >.> We've already had lion Pokemon, such as Pyroar, and, although a lion is still quite majestic, it's not epic enough to be representative of something as incredible as the Sun, especially considering it's going to be a cover legendary. I'd prefer a new, creative idea for the Sun mascot legend.

If they do go with a lion idea, I hope they don't stick to lion-like features like with the Pyroar family. They could alter the general tropes of a lion animal to create a fresh, new idea that could look more majestic than a general lion. I'd prefer for it to be a completely different creature, or not be based on a real creature at all, since something like the 'Sun' deserves a more epic legendary mascot.

Wait, What are going to be the main featured legends in sun and moon, or are they making new legends? When will it be coming out, and is it even coming to the west? Sorry, I didn't get to watch the live video of when they announced it, and somebody told me sun and moon won't be coming to the west, so those were the questions I had.

Wait, What are going to be the main featured legends in sun and moon, or are they making new legends? When will it be coming out, and is it even coming to the west? Sorry, I didn't get to watch the live video of when they announced it, and somebody told me sun and moon won't be coming to the west, so those were the questions I had.

Unfortunately, the games will not be coming out until the last few days of the year (I think it said Dec 30 when I looked it up). I might be wrong, but I know for sure it won't be coming out until at least December

Damn, now where am I supposed to get money for this new version. :sneaky:

I really love the whole catching-up-to-this-generation thing. :p It makes me wonder how they're gonna implement today's technology into the game. I wonder if the player will get a Smartphone with apps instead of a Pokedex, :panda:

One thing I really hope they do is bring back character customization and contests. Character customization was fun and it was nice having your own distinct character with the PSS on the bottom screen in X/Y. Contests are just something I like personally, dressing up stuff is fun =P

Wait, they took out the character customisation from OR/AS? That's pretty weird, you would think that after it was well received in X/Y, they would actually want to keep that in their next game which uses the same engine. Hmm, I hope they add it back... :p

What I would want even more, though, is a big change to the storyline. Something that catches us off-guard and becomes a big gamechanger for our hero in the region. I'm not sure what it could be though...

@TheYESDragon ,

I think the reason they didn't add trainer customization to ORAS because it was a remake of RS which didn't have trainer customization. But then again I could be completely wrong. The Pokemon Center looks huge in Sun&Moon, so hopefully we get it back. :3 @rawrrie , you're right. Trainer Customization was fun indeed.

What I wanna know what the evil team will be called. Team uh... Cosmic? lolno.

Reactions: TheYESDragon
@TheYESDragon
What I wanna know what the evil team will be called. Team uh... Cosmic? lolno.

That actually made me think of Team Galactic. The name would actually fit with the celestial body/space theme that sun and moon has going on. I did like Cyrus actually so I'd like if they brought them back. (Not referencing to gen 4 in hope of diamond and pearl remakes at all ;-; ). I think that Team Galactic had such a big dream back in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum that it wouldn't be too much of a leap to take over the day and night cycle. Thinking back to the games, wasn't a lot of their hideouts main rooms starry night/space themed anyway. Maybe they'll be the evil team for moon.
Ok so I was gonna end it there but then I thought 'if Team Galactic is in moon whats in sun' well what about Team Flare? Their name kinda fits is you reference it back to solar flares. Honestly I didn't really follow Team Flare story wise so I don't really know what their goals were apart from using the ultimate weapon thing. Maybe their trying to harness the suns power to release the sun dials true potential and Galactic is trying to harness the moons power to release the hinted at moon dial through the corresponding legendary's. I'm just speculating but that sounds like a cool idea to me (I'd buy moon just too see Team Galactic again)!

Reactions: TheYESDragon
That sounds vaguely familiar to Solrock and Lunatone. To be honest I wouldn't put it past Game Freak to accidentally on purpose leak this information trying to make us believe it's the new legendary's when its actually new evolutions. I hope they are the box art legendary's but the 'Luna' and 'Sol' at the beginning is making me kind of weary as the names are very alike.

I'm pretty sure character customization will be in Pokemon Sun and Moon. Well, hopefully. xD I'm pretty exited for this game and I wonder what new features they'll add and stuff. :eek: I just hope they don't make something like "human mega evolution" or something stupid like fusing with your Pokemon. :hilarious:

Reactions: 3823
I'm pretty sure character customization will be in Pokemon Sun and Moon. Well, hopefully. xD I'm pretty exited for this game and I wonder what new features they'll add and stuff. :eek: I just hope they don't make something like "human mega evolution" or something stupid like fusing with your Pokemon. :hilarious:
I just imagined the weirdest thing, :panda:

Human fusing, omg Eve. Agreed on so many levels That's just a horrible idea xD

Just read that the potential starter Pokemon names have been leaked from some kind of twitter account. It's covered by Tyranitar Tube so check it out there to get the full story. So the names are;
Mokuroh - Moku means tree or wood and kuroh apparently comes from fukurou which means owl. So we'll we getting a grass version of Noctowl, with most likely means a grass/flying typing. (BTW in case your wondering it had 5 weaknesses, one of which a x4 weakness, 3 resistances and an immunity)
Ahsimari - Ashika means sea lion and mari means ball. This kinda reminds me of Spheal but hopefully the design and secondary typing is better ;-;
Nyabbi - Nya is the sound that a cat makes implying that it is some kind of cat while the second part means fire.
Obviously nothing has been confirmed so take it with a grain of salt. I'm kind of excited for Mokuroh as owls are one of my favourite animals, I shall name it snow. (I had a dream of an owl once and her name was snow ;-; )

EDIT:
<---- This is the video covering what I've written

Last edited:
Back